Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys new to the forums, I dont actually own a mustang, but i've been building a 89 nissan 240 with a 5.0 from a 98 explorer converted to carb with a pertonix flame thrower 3 ignition coil and flame thrower 3 distributor taylor 8mm wires. Im having some trouble getting it to spark. I have the ign. run on a 50amp switch by itself. I have the ign power wire going to the coil. and a ground on the coil. i also have the +/- from the distributor running to the coil.

now if i turn it over i get no spark after the dist. but if i test it before the dist. it will spark only when I turn on the switch not when I turn it over. The coil also starts to get hot.

I left the switch on one day and went back into the garage later and couldnt even see the car the thing heated up so much it exploded. so I got a new coil rewired all my switches and everything to make sure I didn't have any shorts and still same thing.

If anyones had this prob before or has any ideas?

·
Exhaust fume addict
1,526 Posts
I don't know much about these but it may have fried the pickup in the distributor

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,965 Posts
You said you ran a ground to the coil? What on earth for? Power to + side, then wire from distributor to the - side and done. You had a circuit flowing 12 volts through the coil all the time, making the coil the load in the circuit, no wonder it exploded with that much current going through it. Take that extra ground wire off, replace your pertronix as it is probably fried and wire it as I said.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ive never wired a carbed car, every things been jap turbo engines.... i drew up a schematic with the guy at the performance shop before i did i wired it he said it looked correct but possibly he over looked it. so you think im gonna need a new distributor or just the coil?

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,965 Posts
Remve ground wire from coil first. Then try it with a new coil. Coil gets a pulsating ground through the distributors module, that keeps the coil producing spark and the amperage down. When you put power to one side and ground on the other, you wired it like a light bulb, and amps peg, coil heats up til it boils the oil inside and explodes. A coil is not an electronic device, its an old school electric device. In ither words, giving a coil power and ground doesnt produce a spark, giving it power and ground gives it a large magnetic field, removing the power or ground collapses the magnetic field and creates a spark. Get it? The coil itself doesnt create timed spark when you "plug it in", rather the pulsing of completed circuit to open circuit creates the spark. Thats what your drop in module does. It sees the windows and solids on the reluctor wheel and alternates completing the ground circuit and opening it up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok so Ive got spark now thanks guys it was that i had a ground running to the coil. now im having trouble getting it to start. my neighbor was telling me its because a pertronix dist. wont work with a 5.0 something about the gear. It looks like it has a steel gear on it already so i dont see why that would be an issue. it is firing just not starting. 95% is coming out of the exhaust alittle out of oil fill. so im assuming i have it just alittle out of time? is it possible to use the pertronix coil with vac advance with the explorer acc. it will only fit with the vac line facing towards the front of the car it hits on my intake if i have it towards the rear and wont allow the distributor to slide all the way in. but there isnt much room to adjust it without it hitting the thermostat housing or the bracket for the acc. pulley maybe alittle over an inch of adjustment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts