Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I have this annoying rattle everytime I start up my car coming from what sounds like the back right section of the car. It only does it upon start up and goes away as soon as I start driving. it sounds like metal vibrating against metal. And no it isnt my tranny seperator plate.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
have someone start your car for you and locate it, does it do it everytime you start? if you started it drove 10 miles and shut it off and start it right up again?

·
Registered
739 Posts
My bet is on the exhaust hangers as well. I had a rattle in mine as well and it turned out to be the muffler hanger was rubbing against the body causing a very annoying rattle.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
My bet is on the exhaust hangers as well. I had a rattle in mine as well and it turned out to be the muffler hanger was rubbing against the body causing a very annoying rattle.
100 % on that!!!! I was out driving, and hit some monsterus train tracks.. Though I broke the car in two. right after the thing started making some loud rattle noise, I honestly thought I broke something in the rear suspension, stopped looked around under there, and nothing.. drove home as slow as I could, got home put it on stands, and thats what it was, the exhaust slid back, and the hangers where up against the body.., losened the exhaust up, and slid it forward, problem solved..

Check it out... have you done any exhaust work to your car?? if you did, my guess is you didn't get the exhaust all the way back forward, and now its touching..

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yeah mine was right after installing my x-pipe, turned out that I didn't slide the over axle pipes forward enough. unbolted, slid it forward about 1/2" and every is good now.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope check hangers they are fine. I even grabbed the muffler and shoot just to create any kind of noise. and nothing. It only does it on cold to slightly warm starts when the exhaust tone is deeper then normal. I will have to get a video.. My exhaust is way to loud to pinpoint it from the outside. But you can easily hear it from inside. =[

·
Registered
961 Posts
double check your exhaust hangers, i have the same problem

Reactions: MustanG_guy17

·
Registered
739 Posts
lol I can't hear it from the outside of the car because my exhaust is to loud
You can sit in the car and get a friend to put their foot on the exhaust tip and see if it stops. I'm sure its something to do with the exhaust somewhere.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay it was the exhaust hanger after all.. I couldn't readjust it anymore then it was so I tape it up real thick with electrical tape. That should solve the problem! I also slipped with the wrench and sliced my knuckle open prolly needs stitches =[ reps to everyone who helped!

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
yeah, I bet you looked tough doing it!!! Just think what the neighbor kids thought as they walked by... LOL

·
Your Resident Badass
4,199 Posts
It is never a successful fix without sacrificing blood to the car gods!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts