Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are rubber pieces around each port on my used intake i got, should i pull them out because the new gasket replaces them?

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Sorry, I mis-read that. All you need is the intake. If you have a Dorman replacement, the o-rings will be built in. If you go OEM, you'll need gaskets.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Don't get the Dorman...it makes less power. I have dyno tested this lol

·
Registered
480 Posts
Coolant, new thermostat, manifold, gaskets (if Ford OE) torque wrench, shop towels and razor blades to scrape the mating surfaces.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts

the bottom left blue o ring is missing, will a new gasket include that?
That is a Dorman aftermarket universal fit 4.6L 2V manifold. Throw it away and buy the FRPP replacement...

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
It fits the PI heads but it is not a PI manifold. The lower plenum volume is much less then the Ford intake (I think Dorman just grafted a mold for the PI configuration on top of the mold for their non-PI manifold) and this affects charge velocity at higher rpms negatively.

When my intake failed at the thermostat housing, back when my car was my DD, I bought a Dorman replacement so as to have it now. After I got it home and opened the box I brought it back, repaired the original unit with JB-Weld as a temporary fix, and ordered an FRPP intake.

That was 2 years and 40 k miles ago and the FRPP unit is still in my attic--now that I have it the JB-Weld fix will never fail...

--------------------------------------------------
FWIW here is how my OEM intake failed (the inner wall of the formed gasket recess eroded):

Here is what it looked like scraped clean, degreased and bolted up sealed with JB-Weld:

·
Registered
277 Posts
When I had my 98 Gt I blew the plastic crossover. I bought a Dorman to replace it. It fit and worked fine until I went to change plugs. IIRC number 3 and 4 I could not get a socket into the well because the intake was protruding into the well. I finally ground the socket and carefully Dremeled the intake a little to get a socket in. I'll go Ford next time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts