Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 mustang that came stock as a 3.8 v6. Of course I am in the process of finding a 4.6 to drop in it and begin the build. (the motor and tranny are already pulled). Well I have a guy local to me that is selling a running 4.6 from a 1993 Lincoln town car. He is selling the motor and the AOD-E tranny for $300 all together and they have 90k original miles. This is a hell of a deal BUT I was told that you can't PI swap 4.6's that were made before 1995? That sounds false to me. I have a set of PI heads, PI intake manifold, throttle body and plenum from a 2002 mustang and I would really like to make this purchase if everything checks out.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I have never heard of that before. All 2v’s are pretty much the same albeit have some minor differences but none that would stop you from being able to swap new heads and intake on it. Do you have an auto ecu or are you going to swap to a manual trans?

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I have never done the swap but from what I have read the biggest obstacle on the older motors is PATS. Apparently you have to use the PATS off of the motor you are taking out since the older 4.6 motors do not have it.

Teksid blocks (1993-1999) were the blocks of choice when I first bought my Mustang. Everyone wanted to build a motor based upon the Teksid block. This article talks about using Romeo PI heads on Romeo blocks and Windsor PI heads on Windsor blocks. I'm not sure you have to do that but you need the valve cover that goes with the head. They are different.https://fordcobraengines.com/ford-modular-motor-differences/

The article is wrong in one area. It says that cars with a Romeo motor have a "W" code and cars with a Windsor motor have an "X" code. That is not true for 99-03 Mustangs. All of them have a 'X" code even though 99 through mid-01 have Windsor motors and mid-01 through 04 have Romeo motors. Below are the VIN codes for 2000 and 2004. If you read the footnotes Mustang GTs in both years use the "X" code. The chart does indicate a difference. In 2000 it describes the motor as 4.6 EFI-SOHC (W). In 2004 it describes the motor as 4.6L SOHC.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/maintenance/vin-decoder/VIN2000.pdf
https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/maintenance/vin-decoder/VIN2004.pdf

Maybe someone else will have a reason you cannot do a PI swap on a 1993 motor but I've never read that you couldn't do it.

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
Check the transmission bolt pattern... Not sure if AOD-E and 4R70W use same bolt pattern or not.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Aode’s come in 2 patterns (mod motor and sbf) but if it came with the block then it has the mod motor bellhousing pattern. The aode and 4r70w are very similar and for all intents and purposes are the same transmission. However, aodes have some drawbacks and the electrical connectors are not the same as a 4r70w.

Believe it or not the 91 and early 92 4.6s in the panther platform vehicles use the sbf bellhousing pattern and were equipped with the aod before ford switched to the electronically controlled aode.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have never heard of that before. All 2v’s are pretty much the same albeit have some minor differences but none that would stop you from being able to swap new heads and intake on it. Do you have an auto ecu or are you going to swap to a manual trans?
I am going to have to purchase a 98 gt wiring harness and 98 gt ECU I was told.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I am going to have to purchase a 98 gt wiring harness and 98 gt ECU I was told.
The reason I ask is because of the transmission. If you want to go with an auto you’ll need an auto ecu and harness.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts