Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just need help brainstorming what to check. Due to the exhaust i cant pinpoint front or back.
Ive checked panhard bar, front bearings, a arms. This started before the LCA install.

Sometimes it does ot alot, sometimes not very much. I dont get it and its drivimg me nuts at 430am driving to work.
I also have a vibration and noise in the rear when at an idle...sometimes. is this just the driveshaft?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
What kind of driveshaft is it? Did you apply grease to the sides of the lca bushings before you installed them?9

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its been going since before lca install, but yes, i lubed em.

Factory driveshaft. That vibration has been going on for about three momths.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Check and lube your panhard rod and uca. You could have a bad joint in your ds.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im going to drive it later and tie a camcorder to the undercarraige somewhere so that i can at least start pinpointing where its at. im 75% sure its the back.
and i just relubed panhard bar as i was hoping thats what it was. it wasnt.

how do i check for bad joint?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Grad the driveshaft and try to move it from side to side watching both joints. There should be very(and i mean very) little to no play in the shaft from side to side. My personal opinion is to replace the junk 2pc shaft and get a 1pc.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Trying squirting some WD40 or other silicone spray into the rubber part of the rear exhaust hangers (the part that the rods welded to the pipe fits into.)

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, the noise is more like a "chirp" then a squeak. after i get back from dentist today i will investigate farther.
i have been reading around and sounds like both my noises could be a result from the driveshaft like blackbird mentioned.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
One thing you might want to check, is to see if the rear exhaust hangers are up againts the chassis.. I never got my exhaust back forward after doing some work one time, and it made a very strange sound everytime I hit a bump..

If you can't afford a new driveshaft, I have my old one (8,000 miles on it) sitting around. We could figure something out. If your interested PM me.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If you've got an adjustable UCA, make sure it's got plenty of grease in it. I had that same problem and it just needed grease.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the brainstorm help.

i will check exhaust hangars as two of you have said. i did change my axlebacks few weeks ago but the chirp just started few weeks ago.

i dont have an adjustable UCA.

elleanor - is this an aftermarket or factory driveshaft you have?

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Its the factory one.. its the one I took out of my car when I put my AL one in.. I know, nothing special, but if yours is junk and you need one, I would be willing to help you out by giving you mine, just pay the shipping..

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I will bet its the hangers..I get a vibration rattle from my axle back every so often..not very often..and a quick blip of the gas makes it stop..

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
not looking for anything special. is there any changes between the 06 model and your 08?

i gotta go get groceries with the wife, then go to langley with the wife for a doctor appointment. once i get back i will put my car up and ramps and see if i can move driveshaft, see anything messed up. im going to try to tie a camcorder to where it can see the driveshaft. i will let you know later tonight elleanor, and i really appreciate the help

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
No problem...

When my hangers started touching was right after I hit some massive train tracks.. It was brutal, and then I could hear some loud noise, I pulled over because I thought I broke something in the rearend.. I couldn't see anything, so I limped it home, and when I got under it, thats what I found.. I must of been very close after installing the shorties, and the train tracks bumped it all back.. I could see where the hangers where touching on the car..

Hopefully thats all it is!

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
I think the driveshafts are the same from 08-06, When you order up a AL shaft it looks like they all work from 05-09.

Maybe someone else can give a little better answer.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i just checked my exhaust hangars on the axlebacks, they were good. i will check the others when i get home

·
Slow 3v
1,081 Posts
Did you ever figure out the issue? I'm having three same chirping sound and I am going insane. It started after I installed my borla cat back but I have taken it on and off twice now, checked that nothing is rubbing and it still makes the damn sound. Def exhaust chirp though. I contacted borla and they are sending me a new driver side muffler to see if its a bad weld or something inside causing this.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
i have the same issue..I put my pype bombs on..before I lined them up it would only happen every so often..Now if I get on it it will start to make a vibrating sound like its rattling off the frame or something. I havnt gone under there to see if I can tell if its hitting anything or not..it is annoying

1 - 20 of 29 Posts