Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Why not have a Fox?
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i went and looked at the rear end this morning, and it looked pretty good. Looked straight, so i decided to go ahead and get it. He wanted $300 but i got it for $275, which left me some gas money lol. Anyhow, while its out of under a car and easier to work on, i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what i should replace/rebuild while its out of the car. So far i have a list of things i want to do, but feel free to suggest anything else you think might need done. It looks in good condition over all, so i don't think it needs much. Anyways heres my list of to-do's.

1 empty and clean the inside out

2 change gear oil

3 rebuild clutch packs*

4 replace axle bearings and seals

*The rear end in my car has clutch packs that were recently rebuilt. could i just take the clutch plates( not sure if that's the technical term for them) out of it and put them into this rear end without having to worry about re-shimming the whole third member???

( Im not looking to convert to 5 lug, or change the splines or brakes or anything like that...yet...)

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Did you remove the old rear yet? You need to release tension on the parking brake before removing the ebrake cables from the drums or the spring in the ebrake will unwind. Rear brakes will not work peoperly.

Swapping shims from one rear to another? I wouldnt. There is no gaurantee they were shimmed the same, and they probably were not. Dont forget the friction modifier when you fill it.

·
Why not have a Fox?
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you remove the old rear yet? You need to release tension on the parking brake before removing the ebrake cables from the drums or the spring in the ebrake will unwind. Rear brakes will not work peoperly.

Swapping shims from one rear to another? I wouldnt. There is no gaurantee they were shimmed the same, and they probably were not. Dont forget the friction modifier when you fill it.
E-brake doesnt work so thats not a problem... What do you mean about the rear brakes not working properly??? and im not going to swap the shims, i just want to swap the clutch packs since they were just rebuilt and if they will work, why spend another $100 for a new clutch pack kit?

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Find the right shop and they 'might' be able to straighten the housing for you and you will have a spare to reuse later, or resell. Are you sure its the housing and not the shaft? I never bent a housing but did bend a shaft once. They dont like curbs.

E-brake doesnt work so thats not a problem... What do you mean about the rear brakes not working properly??? and im not going to swap the shims, i just want to swap the clutch packs since they were just rebuilt and if they will work, why spend another $100 for a new clutch pack kit?
If the brakes are working as is, youre fine. My ebrake doesnt work either. I meant to post "ebrake wont work properly" and not "rear brakes wont work properly". Reason i brought it up is that on a working ebrake youre supposed to lock the ebrake and spring so you dont lose tension while removing the cables from the drum. Otherwise the ebrake wont work properly, or maybe not at all. But if you dont use it or it doesnt work, dont worry about it. All the ebrake is is a secondary safety when parked on an incline.

As for the shims, i misread it. Sorry about that.

·
Why not have a Fox?
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea, im sure. I bent both , the axle and the housing. I replaced the axle for temorary driving until i could get a new rear end. thanks for coments. I need my other questions answered too lol

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts

I have no idea what you are talking about, I have a few ebrake handles out if the car and the springs are fine. It will pull the equalizer cup back, but its easy to pull back and hook up again. Curiious what youve seen tho.

Op, sounds like youve got it civered with your list. The shims arent super critical for the clutch packs if thats what you mean?

·
Why not have a Fox?
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Op, sounds like youve got it civered with your list. The shims arent super critical for the clutch packs if thats what you mean?
Let me try and explain it better. You know that when you replace the ring and pinion gears, you have to re-shim the rear end? Well i want to know if i will have to do that when i rebuild the clutch packs. I know you said i shouldnt have to in another post, but here is my concern. I am going to take the clutch discs and spacers (not really sure what theyre called) out of the clutch packs that are in my cars rear end, and put them in this other rear end that i bought, instead of buying a posi rebuild kit, since the rear end in my car was recently rebuilt before i trashed it... So my concern is will clutch plates that have been used, but not worn out, affect how the whole third member is shimed into the housing? And is this ok to reuse the lightly-used clutch plates and spacers???

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Clutch packs go in the differential, so no. It doesn't affect it. If you were to use a different differential or different gears, than yes. Pull old one out. Keep shims together for each side. Swap your ****, and put it all back how you found it.

·
Why not have a Fox?
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, thanks. Sorry if i ask the dumbest questions, im just not very confident in my skill level, and cant afford to screw things up too much. so does the list of things to-do i made sound like a good enough thing to do?

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Yep, axle bearings if needed. Just inspect them after you clean it up. New axle seals, fluid and friction modifier. Look at the brakes real good on the rear you're going to use also. And before you ask, yes you could reuse your old brakes, BUT you have to swap BOTH shoes and drums, and keep them in the right order on the right sides. Check the wheel cylinders (what pushes the brake shoes out) for leaking around the boots, and either replace or rebuild if neeed. Obviously you are going to need to rebleed the brakes during this adventure too, so make sure you just flush the old fluid out as best as you can as long as you are doing this. Bleed, Bleed, Bleed. You're introducing air in the middle of the system. Bleed it well.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
Yeah, what he said and yes, thats what I was refferring to, was the clutches and steels along with the shims and spring. The side shims have nothing to do with the internals of the posi unit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts