Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
clutch went on the initial test drive from a 1-2 gear shift....

king cobra clutch FTL...

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I just about smoked my king cobra clutch in 1500 miles with my relatively mild 306... And I broke it in for about 400 miles and didn't dump it once. Blew up the engine, took it back out and took a look at the clutch while it was out and it's more than halfway gone already.

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
lol, then how the hell is hatch's cobra clutch lasting in a low 11 second, 388rwhp 347 being daily driven?

its all in the adjustment. you set it wrong and you will screw junk up

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol, then how the hell is hatch's cobra clutch lasting in a low 11 second, 388rwhp 347 being daily driven?

its all in the adjustment. you set it wrong and you will screw junk up
Just because he has the power doesn't mean he uses it. First thing we did was give the car a go off the 2step and slam 2nd in. The clutch clearly did not like it.... but it did grab until 3rd fear shift came along

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Just because he has the power doesn't mean he uses it. First thing we did was give the car a go off the 2step and slam 2nd in. The clutch clearly did not like it.... but it did grab until 3rd fear shift came along
Lol your **** broke because of you. That man launches at 6000 at the track on slicks all the time. My old vortech set up made 430ftlbs at 3000 rpms on a I have a king cobra. My turbo set up still doesn't slip the clutch. It's just a ebay king cobra I bolted in. I must have never driven my car hard, because it's impossible it held up.

Doesn't your car make like 340 at the tires? Not to mention it sounds like you are talking about launching on the street.

·
Powered by LSx tears
21,466 Posts
I put my Centerforce DF in, and literally pulled it out of my shop, drove straight to the track, and started doing 5K launches. Clutch had about 35 miles on it. I've had 0 problems, and it drives great.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Couldn't tell you why. I didn't check air gap or anything like that. Just bolted it on and went, which I'll bet a lot of people do with a king cobra. I do know that my clutch fully disengaged when the pedal was all the way in and fully engaged with the pedal all the way out. Clutch still works, but it's far more worn that I would have thought after 1500 miles and only once at the track.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Couldn't tell you why. I didn't check air gap or anything like that. Just bolted it on and went, which I'll bet a lot of people do with a king cobra. I do know that my clutch fully disengaged when the pedal was all the way in and fully engaged with the pedal all the way out. Clutch still works, but it's far more worn that I would have thought after 1500 miles and only once at the track.
Whats your cars combo? Nothing to do with the clutch, I was just curious.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Whats your cars combo? Nothing to do with the clutch, I was just curious.
TW 170's that I did some porting on. Nothing crazy though, just cleaned up the casting and took a little off the sides and some off the roof. Billet cam motion cam, and a tubular GT-40 with the lower ported by tmoss. Then all the peripherals, 30's, 4"power pipe, 75mm TB, longtubes, abaco 97mm meter, and a QH. Had a new rotating assembly that was balanced, but not much lighter than stock parts. It made decent power, but I never got the tune right because I'm still figuring out my QH. Ran 86MPH in the 1/8 and could have easily ran in the 90's if I tuned it right and got some seat time in with it.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Yea that intake is long gone now. Kind of realized the error of my ways with that combo after it was built. Yea that's the one that ran pig rich and washed. I actually ran the 86 MPH runs with about 15lbs of fp in an attempt to lean it out a bit cause I had just bought the QH and really had no clue. I've gone in a different direction this year tho. Went with more cubes and a supervictor. If this deal goes through that I'm working on, it'll be an SHP block, internal balance 408, with those 170 heads and an EFI supervic until I can afford some TEA highports or something like that.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
It's good that you learned qh, I lost my nack for wanting to go through mine entirly, but what I have learned is awesome. If you really know what you are doing your set for life with efi fox bodies. It's pretty damn simple with boosted cars actually even if your not to smart.

As far as your old combo goes, **** happens, your on the right track,

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
My 88 has had a cobra clutch in it for two years now and just about every weekend gets 5k launches on the street with drs for money............. and my turbo car has had a cf dual friction in it for the last three years :)

It's all in the adjustment and weather or not your rear main is lubricating it or not :/

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Lol count me in for rear main ky jelly all the time. Since I've torn the car down around the time I've got it I've never been able to get my rear mains to atleast not mist up. Enough to cover the clutch though. Still works for me?

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
Lol count me in for rear main ky jelly all the time. Since I've torn the car down around the time I've got it I've never been able to get my rear mains to atleast not mist up. Enough to cover the clutch though. Still works for me?
ahh you need a set of kicks like mine and you'll never have rear main issues again

1 - 19 of 19 Posts