Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Why not have a Fox?
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i finally found an 8.8 rear end and am going to go look at it/pick it up Saturday morning. :naughty: i have a few questions, so here goes...
1 What i want to know is if there is anyway to tell if the clutches are worn out or not?
2 if they are, how much does it usually cost to rebuild them? Is it possible to swap the clutch packs from my rear end into this rearend???
3 Is there anything else i should look for when i go look at it?

the guy doesnt know what year or how many miles are on it, but he knows its 85-93 rear end. it will just bolt in with NO mods right??? Its stock other than the gears, which is what i need. he wants $300 which he is pretty firm on since he doesnt have to sell it. anyways, thanks for responses!

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
Wow, that's high for a stock 8.8. Search for 8.8 posi rebuild kits and you'll find it.

·
Why not have a Fox?
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, that's high for a stock 8.8. Search for 8.8 posi rebuild kits and you'll find it.
it had 3.73 gears put in, other than that its stock. I think its not too bad considering the money id dump into a stock rearend and swapping the gears. Im gonna try to get him to come down a bit.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
Oh, you didn't say it had a gear set in it. That's not too bad, but I'd like to see you get it for around 250. He thinks he's got you hooked and is trying to play hardball with ya. Flash cash and be prepared to walk if he passes. Be polite and friendly, but firm. You'll get it for less, he wants the money more than an 8.8 laying in his garage. There are tons of well written articles on the net and on youtube about rebuilding the posi. It's not that bad. I do them for 125 parts and labor, so that tells ya it isn't that big of a job once the third member is removed.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
Nope, third member, or posi unit, whatever you want to call it, has to come out and the ring gear needs to come off as well.

·
Why not have a Fox?
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope, third member, or posi unit, whatever you want to call it, has to come out and the ring gear needs to come off as well.
ok. just found an awsome article explaining how easy it was. My only worry is the back lash! if im carefull when taking it apart and putting it back together, will i have to reshim and check the back lash? because im afraid ill screw that all up if i do it myself and be back at square one; a rear end that whines like all get out!

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
No not at all, as long as you put the shims and bearings back in exactly as you took it apart. Eazy peazy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts