Modded Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
ExPeNsIvE HoBbY
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
new carpet and it would look fckn sweet. nice job op
Ya carpet is on the to-do list for sure. I think new carpet for my car can be had for like $150.

so, did you remove the dash to paint it, or did you mask everything and painted it on the car?
Removed everything and painted outside the car separately, and masked off and painted the dash inside.

I'm normally not a big fan of painting interiors, but in your case that's a big improvement. Looking good man. :yes
Ya I've painted interiors before and lasted pretty long without looking terrible. I would have much rather replaced all the pieces with new black stock ones, but nearly $1000 in new pieces or $40 in supplies with the same look, I went cheap lol. I messed up on the glovebox originally and it orange-peeled really bad so I had to scrub it down with 000 steel wool and it took forever to even get the original color to show through. Basically this stuff is tough. Def confident its going to last quite awhile. Dupli-Color surprised the hell outta me this time!

Sent from Uranus

·
Registered
84 Posts
So steel wool is the secret to stripping it down? I've thought about doing this for a little bit but I was concerned with how to go about stripping that original color as interiors are on there pretty well from what I've heard. Great work, looks good!

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,737 Posts
Looks good man, I remember doing this as it was a huge undertaking. I decided to do mine a second time and convert it to the stock oem grayish black insted of pure black.

If done right, which it looks like you did, it will last many years. I had mine in the car for 3 years before I decided to change the color.

·
ExPeNsIvE HoBbY
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So steel wool is the secret to stripping it down? I've thought about doing this for a little bit but I was concerned with how to go about stripping that original color as interiors are on there pretty well from what I've heard. Great work, looks good!
Thanks man! Ya steel wool is good because it isn't gonna remove texture like sandpaper will. Scotch brite pads work good too but believe it or not they are actually more harsh.

Really there is no need to remove factory paint, just scuff it well so the paint has something to adhere to.

I did notice on some parts that the paint even scuffed wasn't enough, and no matter what technique I tried to lay the paint it wouldn't stick, so I paint, let it chemically "soften" the surface, let it cure, scuff again and shoot the final coats. That way even if it looked terrible at first it gave the new paint something to bond to.

Sent from Uranus

·
Certified Bwaloligisit
28,084 Posts
Very nice and much better.

I have all black leather Interior, but its no where near the solid black look of the paint.

·
ExPeNsIvE HoBbY
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Very nice and much better.

I have all black leather Interior, but its no where near the solid black look of the paint.

Looks really good man. Wish mine came from the factory black, would have saved a lot of work lol.

Oh that, and navi would be nice :p

Sent from Uranus

·
Certified Bwaloligisit
28,084 Posts
I'm so glad I found my car with near perfect black interior. And the NAV and Serius radio is a plus too :D. I later found out that head unit was just over 1100 brand new :eek:

·
ExPeNsIvE HoBbY
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ya I don't know why they stopped the black, especially since it was the most desirable color. But like I said, $40 and some elbow grease fixed that haha.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
You made a great choice, loving the color switch!

·
ExPeNsIvE HoBbY
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I think this weekend I might just do the wheel, column covers, and the door panels.

Budget is tight tho, just bought the new Matco MT1769A 1/2" impact wrench and the Matco 1/2" drive deep and shallow impact socket set. I've spent almost $1100 in tools the last few weeks.

·
ExPeNsIvE HoBbY
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Also I plan on some cobra r style 180mph gauge faces. I think the white gauges will tie in with the white vents really well and def pop! Whadda ya think?

·
Certified Bwaloligisit
28,084 Posts
Also I plan on some cobra r style 180mph gauge faces. I think the white gauges will tie in with the white vents really well and def pop! Whadda ya think?
:lol sorry but i have to say it... When will your car ever go over 120 mph?? :lmao

21 - 40 of 72 Posts