Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here some pics I snapped tonight with my cobra in a parking garage. Turned out better then what Ive taken before but I have so much noise. How do I reduce this some on my end?

·
Photoshop Junkie
1,445 Posts
I'm definitely not an expert, but more light would be a good start. My pics always look grainy when I try to shoot at night, but the bright, sunny daytime photos come out way cleaner.

By the way, I'm amused that you can drive the Cobra in ND while folks in Texas are stuck with snow.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, we have no snow here at all (knock on wood).

funny part? 6 months from now Ill be living in texas. haha

I know light is a major factor, but Im shooting with a d3000. Nothing amazing, but can I use a better setting to help this?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup, didn't use a timer, but there doesn't look like there is a blur from pressing the button.

·
Cum On Me Bro
8,106 Posts
My advice would be trying to shoot in a location where there is less light in the background, and more light coming from right behind the camera. I think the camera is just having trouble getting detail against your car because of the huge contrast difference. As far as camera settings, I'm not really sure what could help that.

·
9k All Day.
3,449 Posts
iso 100/200, high f-stop, (assuming you have the kit-lens) and a SLOOOWWWW shutter speed all on a tripod. best for getting lots of light out of dark area's, and retain's all the natural" element in lighting.

i think i got that right, alothugh, i am a we bit outta here. :eek: ;)

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
^true, but it you look at the pictures, the only thing under exposed is the car. The background looks fine. He could leave the shutter open a bit longer, but that would blow out the garage lights and cause them to flare even more than they have. Using a fill flash he could balance illumination of the car with the ambient light of the scene, getting an even exposure.

edit: now that I'm on my laptop I can see that there is more detail in the car than I thought. My phone displays pictures with a lot of contrast. I still stand by my opinion that use of a flash is beneficial, but all of the suggestions in this thread will help vita out.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome guys. Ill see what I can do to get some different pics tonight to try.

thanks! (repped, btw)

Also, I have thought about spacers. Ive heard such mixed reviews about if they are a good idea or not. :(

·
9k All Day.
3,449 Posts
Awesome guys. Ill see what I can do to get some different pics tonight to try.

thanks! (repped, btw)

Also, I have thought about spacers. Ive heard such mixed reviews about if they are a good idea or not. :(
they are a great idea, and i've run them on everything from mustangs to an old flush jetta. :]

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Being a black car I would begin by looking for a location that fits black. Black is by far the hardest car color to shoot and it will test your patience. Find a spot where the car is lit well at the very least. Backgrounds cannot be brighter than where the car sits period. I know it sucks because you have to bypass a lot of awesome locations, but that's the downfall of shooting black cars.

If you flash black paint be prepared to have tons of undesired flash reflections in the paint. Black is a mirror under flash and you will likely toss 3/4 of your shots in the electronic trash can.

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
Being a black car I would begin by looking for a location that fits black. Black is by far the hardest car color to shoot and it will test your patience. Find a spot where the car is lit well at the very least. Backgrounds cannot be brighter than where the car sits period. I know it sucks because you have to bypass a lot of awesome locations, but that's the downfall of shooting black cars.

If you flash black paint be prepared to have tons of undesired flash reflections in the paint. Black is a mirror under flash and you will likely toss 3/4 of your shots in the electronic trash can.
+1...Here's 2 of mine in a parking garage...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts