Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...diablo's programmers timing adjust in %... Well I went in to the real time data section it says 10 degrees advanced timing...so my question is... If I was pinging I'd know it right? I also have my fuel richened 1% lol

·
April 2012 ROTM
4,739 Posts
you would know it lol pinging is not caused by lack of fuel or a lean/rich charge...its caused by a combination of too low of an octane and timing thats too far advanced.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I know I was just throwing my fuel situation in there to see if it was a bad idea to richen it up for more hp or if I should lean it out a tad... Does ten degrees advanced sound like to much for 93 oct?

·
April 2012 ROTM
4,739 Posts
leaner=more power=more heat=problems lol If I read my tuner right when I data logged it (SCT SF3) the highest timing number I saw it roll to was 24 degrees advanced and Im runnin BP 93 octane....pings once in a blue moon lol

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
that pinging is not good at all your timing is too advanced you shouldnt run it at all until you re-tune it to where that doesn't happen i remember someone from MM told me about this problem in another thread about my sct x cal 3 tuner not sure the exact threads name but ill try to find it

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Originally Posted by BadBlackGT
on the spark, just start it at the highest, and drive it. If you hear a ping(sounds like bb's bouncing around) lower it one, repeat until the pinging stops. The pinging can also be a cause of bad fuel... so be sure you have a 100% tank of 91 octane before trying this.

Thats a quick way to potentially destroy the engine. Tuners always start low and work their way up by 2* at a time. If there is no power increase on the dyno then you back it off 2. Some cars will tolerate over 4* between peak power and detectable knock. If "tuning" to the actual knock limit on the road you may have a very aggressive tune for not much if any power increase. Sometimes by the time you hear the detonation the damage is done.
Detonation Explained
this was from the thread i posted a while back, but this was about spark adjustments which causes the same problem

·
April 2012 ROTM
4,739 Posts
with the mods you have I wouldnt play with any rich/lean settings...but thats jus me lol

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
diablo's "canned" tune is already plenty rich, you should leave the fuel alone (I actually have some out of mine), as to the timing, stick with around 4, your not making any more power with the timing that high & with your limited mod's, turn the timing & fuel back down & run 89, the car will run about the best there from my experiance with 5+ years & prob. 2500+ passes with my diablo on my car.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Turn the timing back to stock? Man when I bumped up my timing I noticed a difference and a meaner sound under load...ill take my fuel back and maybe a touch leaner...but timing...return it to stock? I don't know

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Turn the timing back to stock? Man when I bumped up my timing I noticed a difference and a meaner sound under load...ill take my fuel back and maybe a touch leaner...but timing...return it to stock? I don't know
not nessesarly to stock, + about 4% is ok. sound doesn't mean anything, it's just noise (not that there's anything wrong with a loud car, mine's plenty loud), power is power, go to the track & run it both ways & see what work's best for you.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I was +5... Idk...I wanna get on a dyno jet and tune it accordingly..and see what measley hp I'm putting down...prolly not much

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Well I was +5... Idk...I wanna get on a dyno jet and tune it accordingly..and see what measley hp I'm putting down...prolly not much
screw the dyno go to the track, it's cheaper & more honest.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Man I'm waiting to go to the track till I have some drag radials... Ill figure something out

·
Registered
689 Posts
take a look at you mph, that is what you need to pay attenion to, the et is neither here nor there, as long as you 60's are close to each other and the mph goes up every time you make a change you are adding power....

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
take a look at you mph, that is what you need to pay attenion to, the et is neither here nor there, as long as you 60's are close to each other and the mph goes up every time you make a change you are adding power....
+1^ save your money from the dyno & buy some tires (I don't recomed drag radials for a stick car under any circumstances though) & hit the track.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Why not? I would have to like..I don't know.. I have to drive my car to the track

1 - 20 of 28 Posts