Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my S197 used and already lowered, I'm guessing about 1.5". The car has 75,000 miles and the rear pionion seal is leaking. I'm guessing its because the pionion angle isn't correct. I bought an adj. UCA and now need to adjust it to get the correct angle. Anyone have an easy way to measure the angle?

·
Registered
368 Posts
If your pinion seal is leaking, you are going to want to get that replaced sooner than later. I would just have the shop that replaces the seal check the angle for you, or have them set it to what you want it to be at. Stock ride height is around -2 I believe.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I plan on putting the rear wheels up on ramps to make sure the weight is on the wheels when I install the UCA, but should the front wheels be at the same height as the rear wheels or can they be on the floor?

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
So I plan on putting the rear wheels up on ramps to make sure the weight is on the wheels when I install the UCA, but should the front wheels be at the same height as the rear wheels or can they be on the floor?
Your going to want all the tires at the SAME height.. When I do mine I plan on putting it on 4 ramps, it is important that everything is at the same height, and the weight is on the tire, or where the tire would be.. without some kind of home made stand that bolted on to the hubs, it looks like your only option is to put it on ramps..

If the front of your car was on the ground, or even if it was on stands under the cross member or something, it would screw up your angle finders readings.... You might be able to put the car on the gound(flat surface) and put and angle finder on the car itself, maybe somewhere under the car, or maybe open the doors and use the door sill, and then record the readings, and it then might be possible to just put stands under the front, and maybe stands under the rear axle. Then get the car back to the same readings from when it was on the ground, and set your pinion angle.. maybe....

I guess to be safe, I would use ramps on the front, and the back..

It might be possible to just use stands under the rear axle, but you need to get the car back to "ride height" before you set the pinnion angle.

By ride height I mean getting the car back to level or the angle it sits at while on a flat surface.. Sorry, thats not ride height..

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Wait a minute..... After reading the instructions over again from Steeda, I am thinking it doesn't have to be level, just have the weight on the rear axle..

Reason, is because they have to take measurments from your drive shaft, and your pinnion, or with a once peice shaft, from the bell housing plate, and your pinnion..

So, I suck, I was wrong, it doens't have to be level.. SORRY.......

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ha ha ha ha... Good stuff. I understand

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yeah, It doesnt matter if the wheels are level or not, becuase you are measuring the difference in the angles of the rear axle and your drive shaft. I know it was a pain doing mine, and I had to do it several times.

If your rear seal is leaking due to the angle being off, it is becuase there was a vibration in your drive train from it. I am pretty sure this means the pinion bearings are shot. You might want to look into this, becuase just changing the seal will not last for long.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts