Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago i bought some brand new fr500s from American Muscle 18x9 in front 18x10 in back and i loved them but thought they needed something else. So i decided to go pick up some red pinstripe tape to pinstripe my wheels Saturday.

It ended up turning out great so i decided it was a go but was gonna wait till the morning and do them all

I woke up stoked and ready to go work on them and decided to redo the one i did last night. I started to peel the tape off and with it came alot of my wheel paint.

A couple chunks and a lot of flakes came right off and as you know this isnt a real strong adhesive. I called AM and told them my problem and they did not want to help at all and said there wheels were not to be "modified" at all and it was my fault since i as they say "modified" them.

So my question has anyone has ever had this problem

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Never had that issue. I had some gloss black wheels from AM and put some white pinstripe tape on them to see how they would look. Only had it on for a few hours, but it didn't take my paint off. Although I can understand why AM wouldn't offer and help for this issue. You put the tape on your wheels so you risked the chance that the paint could possibly come off with the tape.

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
About a month ago i bought some brand new fr500s from American Muscle 18x9 in front 18x10 in back and i loved them but thought they needed something else. So i decided to go pick up some red pinstripe tape to pinstripe my wheels Saturday.

It ended up turning out great so i decided it was a go but was gonna wait till the morning and do them all

A couple chunks and a lot of flakes came right off and as you know this isnt a real strong adhesive. I called AM and told them my problem and they did not want to help at all and said there wheels were not to be "modified" at all and it was my fault since i as they say "modified" them.

So my question has anyone has ever had this problem
Never had that issue. I had some gloss black wheels from AM and put some white pinstripe tape on them to see how they would look. Only had it on for a few hours, but it didn't take my paint off. Although I can understand why AM wouldn't offer and help for this issue. You put the tape on your wheels so you risked the chance that the paint could possibly come off with the tape.
MovinMean,

I think that looks really great with the red pin striping. I'm really sorry to see that it took of some of the finish when you removed the tape! Unfortunately my CS team provided you with the proper information. There's not to much I can do here considering our wheel didn't come from our facility with the pin striping (which caused the issue)! However, we'll always go the extra mile for our customers, let me see what I can do for you.

Shoot me a PM with your order number and I'll have my best Customer Service Manager contact you directly!

-Dan

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dan,
Thanks for the reply and a PM sent.
I just feel on a brand new wheel the finish should not come off nearly as easy as it did with the tape i was using. I would understand if the tape had been on for a month or so but it was on for less then 10 hours. Seeing that no one has ever really had a problem with this situation makes me believe it was just a defective wheel.

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
Dan,
Thanks for the reply and a PM sent.
I just feel on a brand new wheel the finish should not come off nearly as easy as it did with the tape i was using. I would understand if the tape had been on for a month or so but it was on for less then 10 hours. Seeing that no one has ever really had a problem with this situation makes me believe it was just a defective wheel.
I'll definitely look into this for you. I've received your PM and have sent your information over to my customer service team!

Hang in there. We'll get you squared away quickly!

-Dan

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll definitely look into this for you. I've received your PM and have sent your information over to my customer service team!

Hang in there. We'll get you squared away quickly!

-Dan

Its been 2 weeks now and still haven't heard anything from you guys Dan. Just wondering what the status was if you guys are going to contact me or not.

Tyler

·
Registered
800 Posts
I hope that they come through for you. I have had great experiences with AM but in this case it looks to me like a lame excuse that they won't replace the rim. The rim clearly wasn't prepped right if the paint came of with the pinstripe. And really??? Considered modified because you put pinstriping on it?!

·
AHRC Suffolk, NY CarShow
525 Posts
pinstripe tape is not strong....it should have not taken off the paint.
i think it was faulty paint on the rims.
could you imagine what they wouldve looked like after a few months of constant washing, wiping and polishing.
i would not be happy :(

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope that they come through for you. I have had great experiences with AM but in this case it looks to me like a lame excuse that they won't replace the rim. The rim clearly wasn't prepped right if the paint came of with the pinstripe. And really??? Considered modified because you put pinstriping on it?!
Thanks for the support Beerhunter
I hope they do to i mean i'm giving them a chance. This has been pretty much my only problem with them but its definately changing my outlook, Dan gave me some hope and hopefuly he sticks to his word. It definatley wasnt prepped right and yeah for 10 minutes straight all they told me was that i "modified"the wheel over and over.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pinstripe tape is not strong....it should have not taken off the paint.
i think it was faulty paint on the rims.
could you imagine what they wouldve looked like after a few months of constant washing, wiping and polishing.
i would not be happy :(
Yeah its not strong at all and its meant for automotives which is what i dont undertand. Exactly if anything had got on my wheels it would have came right off and as you said i believe even just constant washing would have taken the paint right off. And yes i am pretty upset
Thanks for your support too on edge

·
gtscrewd
5,228 Posts
You should call them they should take car of you. If that little piece of tape took the paint off what about brake dust and soap. That's what scares me about there wheels most of them are mass produced in china.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You should call them they should take car of you. If that little piece of tape took the paint off what about brake dust and soap. That's what scares me about there wheels most of them are mass produced in china.
Well i already have called them but had no luck at all. They did not want to help me so i feel like if i call them again nothings going to change but ill give it a shot and give them one last chance. Yeah that scares me as well and is making me very skeptical about the longetivity and durability of these wheels.

·
I Have A FLATULENT Butthole.
7,889 Posts
Not to be a dick, but I don't blame them. They shouldn't have to take responsibility for something you messed up. I understand it sucks but when you start modifying things that is the risk you take. Especially when it wasn't meant to be modified.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not to be a dick, but I don't blame them. They shouldn't have to take responsibility for something you messed up. I understand it sucks but when you start modifying things that is the risk you take. Especially when it wasn't meant to be modified.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Not being a dick just voicing your opionion as have I, I just feel like this is not my fault and the prep job and finish was the cause of this problem. I just wouldn't consider this as a modification to the wheel either. But hey nothing some black touchup paint can't fix

·
gtscrewd
5,228 Posts
Not being a dick just voicing your opionion as have I, I just feel like this is not my fault and the prep job and finish was the cause of this problem. I just wouldn't consider this as a modification to the wheel either. But hey nothing some black touchup paint can't fix
I agree with you that finish was junk . That tape should not have done that poor customer service IMO on there part.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I will not buy another AM product if they do not fix this for you. If they are saying tape is considered a modification then heaven help us that use tape as a measurement tool. AM make this right.
Dude really?

Sent from my XT901

1 - 20 of 40 Posts