Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to buy a shortblock, waiting for reply as to how big a dish the pistons are, but the guy says the compression ratio is 8:1 so its obviously a nice dish. Do you guys think there will be valve clearance issues if I run an agressive blower cam? or do I need notched pistons?
Thanks gents

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
It all depends on the lift and duration of the cam as well as the valve size, but most likely you will need notches if you go with an aggressive camshaft. The dish is in the middle of the piston, where I see contact is on the edge where there is no dish.

Reactions: Walters97Racing

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn, im retarded when it comes this forum. I cant upload the pic of the piston. It looks to me like there is a relief on the bottom edge of the piston(edge closer the outside of the block as it is installed in the cylinder). I have never seen a piston notched like that before so Im not sure if its a notch or what? Ill try to work this contraption so you can see what I mean.

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
More then likely you need to have the pistons notched, which can be done for a couple hundred dollars or less. You can run into clearance issues with a stock cam if its not installed properly so there is really no way to know for certain until you get the cams degreed in. save yourslef some trouble and notch the pistons. The releifs are not even in the same area that PTV will occur so they wont matter anyhow.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for help guys. Im batteling terrible afghanistan intraweb issues,while trying to upload this pic which will probably get some answers.

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
I joined Modded Mustangs while I was in Afghanistan so I know your pain.

Reactions: Walters97Racing

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha Yeah I actually had another account but couldn't recover it, cuz well,,yeah im in afghanistan. [email protected]#$%^ billion passwords. Ei-yay-yay. Here is another question for you guys. I have two bad o-rings,#3 and #7. Instead of just replacing them, I was thinking spend a lil more and get this(Built shortblock) or possibly just a used stock termi. shortblock. Is that overkill? Have any of you had your rings replace and if so,how much would I be looking at? Cobra has 67k miles on it, vortech S-trim(928Motorsports upgrade). Around 12 psi before I backed it down to 7ish because of the bad rings.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
You mean compression rings? If you've broken rings you're most likely going to have scarring to the cylinder walls and will need to clean them up too so it's more than just throwing rings at it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts