Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i am working on collecting parts for my 3v head swap on my 2002 gt and i have been reading that the weak part of a n/a 4.6 when reving a little high (a bit under 7000) the rods go... kersplat:eek:

well what i was thinking was when i remove the kmember because i will be doing some work to the headers and i will have my heads off what it would take to put in some new H-beam rods along with some pistons do i have to remove the crank and or tranny? anything other then the oil pan? or the whole engine?

also what rods/pistons should i go with it will be a N/A 2002 mustang block with 05+3v heads it might see a very small shot of No2 a ways down the road like a 50-75 shot

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
aftermarket 3v pistons have a different valve relief set up. have to buy new rods and pistons, then go have them put together. to do it correctly and safely, the rotating assembly should be rebalanced. the motor needs to come out, makes things a lot easier and might as well for all the work that has to get done anyways. the front and top have to come completely apart including all cam timing accessories.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also i know what is involved in taking all the front of the engine apart thats why i am asking ill have almost everything off the kmember, heads, timing chain and cover along with all accessories and i might have the tranny out depending when i do my clutch, idk what all it would take to just pull the motor but if someone knows im open to ideas.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
not to much more to pull the motor. yes the pistons do have a different valve relief set up to them. there is a guy that works with me that builds nothing but 3v's and sells them. me and him both use the same machinist, and have spent a lot of time talking about his set ups. summit pictures are just generic pic's, not actual. i know he has ran eagle, and arias, but not sure what other manufactures he has used.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dude... look at the pics they show reliefs and i am saying there is not, im not stupid i dont go by pics i go buy what the specs and description say and if you look at the links it says no valve reliefs,
idk if i confused you with what i stated before with the links but here is all the info from bbr (Blowbyracing) and this is where i would buy them from plz look at them and help me if you would i do not understand what i am missing...

Link #1

4.6 3V Manley Platinum Series Pistons - Flat Top

Bore (in): 3.552 in.
Bore (mm): 90.221mm
Piston Style: Dish, with no valve reliefs
Piston Material: Forged aluminum
Compression Distance (in): 1.220 in.
Piston Head Volume (cc): +6.50cc
Wrist Pin Style: Press fit or floating
Pin Diameter (in): 0.866 in.
Piston Ring Thickness: 1.5mm x 1.5mm x 3.0mm
Quantity: Sold as a set of 8.
Notes: Piston and pin gram weight: 440g.

Link #2

Bore (in): 3.552 in.
Bore (mm): 90.221mm
Piston Style: Dish, with no valve reliefs
Piston Material: Forged aluminum
Compression Distance (in): 1.220 in.
Piston Head Volume (cc): +23.00cc
Wrist Pin Style: Press fit or floating
Pin Diameter (in): 0.866 in.
Piston Ring Thickness: 1.5mm x 1.5mm x 3.0mm
Quantity: Sold as a set of 8.
Notes: Gram weight 351g.

Thanks and dont think i am all pissed i think i just confused you i thought i made it clear when i sed
i have done quite a bit of looking around and i have read and found otherwise... all of the following pistons specify no valve reliefs
but whatever i think its clear now

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i know i have been talking to him thoes are after market and i was saying stock 3v VS. 2v also isnt that a dish and he told me that the orig pistons where dished... ill see if he will join up on this thread

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
The stock 3v piston is dished and doesn't have any valve reliefs cut in them. The reason the pistons in my build a cut with valve reliefs is that is where they are getting the lower compression. With that machined the compression went from 9.8 to 9.3 to 1.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you O so Very much for clearing that up! now all i need to find out is if the 2v dish is the same or even close to the 3V all i need is pics of the stock 3v pistons courtesy of 05_mustang_KB_charged:D it should be worth its weight in gold or gas at these prices lol thanks man

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
there is a 3v conversion kit for the 99+ mustangs. they are 17cc dish and the 02+ are 15cc dish stock and have no valve reliefs. there is no ptv issues at all with the conversion kit.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok thanks where do i get it and i dont want to tare into the motor right now i am 17 and can only afford so much at a time because i have 2 stangs tryin to sell the old one anyways,

2ccs is not much i was thinking i could just go with a thicker gasket? and adjust my cam gear for ptv clearance?

i really dont think it is a cut corner thing is it? i want it to be reliable but i dont plan on beatin it tell i get everything done and i just dont have enough for everything untell i sell the 94.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i just f*ed that up the reason i want a little extra room is i want to run an after market cam do you know of one or the biggest one i could run with the stock 02 pistons?? thanks

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i bought mine for 300 and i am going to try to make some because i think i have a better idea...ill be doing a writeup! just wait and i can find all the problems! lol i fell in love after watchin a vid the flow numbers on those heads are crazy they flow better then stage 3 2v heads and the cnc ported 3v heads flow just a little less then the 4v also they weigh less, and you are only payin for half the cams and they bolt right up without taking a bunch of engine room i read somewhere that they take up less room then 2v but i highly dout that ill check tho im just going to run 3v with some 4.11 or higher tell i can get some more cash im just not sure what cam i can run yet or how much lift i know nothing about cams:confused:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
what I'm wondering is if the 2005+ Kenne bell s/c kit will fit a '02 with the 3v heads, that's my future plans (9 psi intercooled) I'm not sure teh heat exchanger would fit under the bumper right

1 - 20 of 27 Posts