Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it sounds like I am buying a 95 F-150 with a 351W in it, auto tranny, all stock, 126K miles for $800. I was planning on doing a mach 1 4.6 swap into my 04 V6 in the summer but if I get this truck I'm debating throwing the 351 into the stang. I would be keeping the auto tranny on the 351 for the sake of cost for now until I can afford a manual tranny.

My questions are about engine clearance and a couple other things. I know a 302 will fit in the 04 body but I feel like a 351 will be a bit big. From what I've read it seems like I could just move the engine back a bit which isn't a problem so I'm not worried about that so is that the case with fit? Also when it comes to the tranny I'm assuming I'll be fabbing a cross member for it and I'll have to mess with the drive shaft since the truck is 4x4 (the only way every truck should be :) ) As far as I know I can unbolt the transfer case for the 4x4 and it should be fine, I'm not sure if it's divorced or not. I also think I will need to fab something to connect the tranny and shifter (can't think of the technical term to save my life)

I've read cobra motor mounts are required for it to fit and I've read that the stock ones are the only way to go so which is it?

I also plan on spending some money to build the 351 a bit. I'd like to swap out the factory heads with some aluminum ones and throw in a different cam but those two things I know nothing about. Eventually I'd like to turbo or s/c it but that won't be for a while.

All in all I just need info at this point so I can start locating parts and start a budget so any help is great.

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
Steve Saleen beat you to it...

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
The 351W itself will fit fine, however you'll want to ditch the truck intake manifold. The transmission is more than likely an E4OD which isn't particularly desirable for this swap. Regardless of whether it's the E4OD or the 4R70W, it would require complete disassembly/reassembly to change to the RWD output shaft. You would be far ahead by going with a different transmission. And no, it isn't a divorced transfer case.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 351W itself will fit fine, however you'll want to ditch the truck intake manifold. The transmission is more than likely an E4OD which isn't particularly desirable for this swap. Regardless of whether it's the E4OD or the 4R70W, it would require complete disassembly/reassembly to change to the RWD output shaft. You would be far ahead by going with a different transmission. And no, it isn't a divorced transfer case.
What intake would you recommend then? I was reading a thread earlier about using a saleen intake but they had no info on why, where to get one, advantages/disadvantages, etc.

The tranny is an E4OD, I got ahold of the owner yesterday so now I'm looking at the price of a T5 or a T56 tranny. I'd like to have a 6 speed but I'm fine with a regular 5 speed as well.

I was originally planning on using the ecu and harness from the truck but since I might be getting a different tranny I'm thinking of switching to mega squirt for the ecu so is there anything to watch out for with mega squirt that anyone knows of? I just found out about them a few weeks ago and it seems most people like the way they turn out.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
Anything with shorter runners and a shorter installed height. The truck intake is out of steam by ~5K rpm. I know that Trickflow has a few offerings, but I haven't really looked into it.

An aftermarket system like MegaSquirt, ProEFI, etc., would likely be the easiest to deal with on this particular combination.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For a budget I'd use the explorer intake. Same with ecu, just reprogram it with sct.
Any particular reason for the explorer intake? Will the explorer ECU's wiring harness swap over? I'm leaning mostly towards mega squirt at the moment.

So what transmission would be best do you guys think? a T5, T56, or a ZF transmission? I know the ZF was what was used for trucks but I don't know how it compares in size to the T5 or T56. The T56 seems like a pretty big transmission, it is slightly bigger than a C6 and it was in the 03-04 cobras so I'd imagine a ZF wouldn't be much bigger except for if the PTO plates take up more room.

·
Fee Fie Foe Fum
1,724 Posts
Assuming this will ever be done... A t5 and t56 come in these cars why go on to try to drag more into the mess...isnt the 351w sbf..so its the same swap as a 302...same block right differnt inner dimensions...can use same heads and intake right...go gt40 heads and intake you wont be let down...

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Any particular reason for the explorer intake? Will the explorer ECU's wiring harness swap over? I'm leaning mostly towards mega squirt at the moment.

So what transmission would be best do you guys think? a T5, T56, or a ZF transmission? I know the ZF was what was used for trucks but I don't know how it compares in size to the T5 or T56. The T56 seems like a pretty big transmission, it is slightly bigger than a C6 and it was in the 03-04 cobras so I'd imagine a ZF wouldn't be much bigger except for if the PTO plates take up more room.
Cheap and flows decent. I would start a thread in the fox body section. megasquirt is alright. Got to know how to tune though.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Assuming this will ever be done... A t5 and t56 come in these cars why go on to try to drag more into the mess...isnt the 351w sbf..so its the same swap as a 302...same block right differnt inner dimensions...can use same heads and intake right...go gt40 heads and intake you wont be let down...

A 351 and a 302 are not the same dimensions. A 351 has a taller deck which is why people use drop mounts to try and fit it with the stock hood.

Also gt40 heads are close to a waste on that engine. They won't flow enough. If you have the money (hasn't really been mentioned) then I would get some trick flow or AFR heads.

As for a trans you have a couple options. C4, t56, tko, or a t5 with a5 internals. A stock t5 will only handle about 300hp which you can make easily with a 351. After that your on borrowed time
The flywheel is a different imbalance so watch out for that.

You'll also need swap headers for your exhaust. And if your swapping it into a v6 you should switch to an 8.8.

Overall it's not a hard swap it can just become expensive

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dont be afraid to ask questions. Seems like a MegaSquirt would work quite well for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts