Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this all typed up to a gut who was supposedly the God of cams, then I found out he doesnt accept pm's. So instead of having this go to waste, I would like to hear from people that know their **** about cams. Here ya go...

"Hey, Im rarely on this forum (usually on mm) but I was referred to you by a member on mm. I have been looking at cams for my 2003 gt and I liked the idea of getting the hitech stage 2 cams because apparently I wont need springs, but after reading about ptv issues, idk. It is a street car, mainly a dd for summer but I like to have fun in it. Right now, it is a full bolt on except for udp's and lt's (and cams). I want a stage 2, because I'd really like to get to 300 rwhp, but I also want it to be streetable, with a nice but not over-the-top idle. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. List of current mods: 4.10's, Sniper tune, cai, flowmaster exhaust with BBK x pipe, tb, plenum and spacer, and thats about it for power mods. If you need any more info or would like to find out more about anything, you can email me at [email protected]. Thanks a lot and I look forward to hearing from you"

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Hitechs are awesome cams, but they need to be installed right and unfortunately some people screw that part up. CMS Stage 2s are the best performing cam available for our cars N/A on stock heads/valves/pistons. They require a spring upgrade though. If you cannot or do not want to upgrade the springs, then the CMS Stage 1s are the ticket.

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I dont want to sacrafice power. If I can get the same power from hitechs as I could from the CMS ones, without having to change springs, that would be the best. What would the power difference be between the CMS stage 1, CMS stage 2, and the hitech's?

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
This thread interests me. So I'm here to read responses. But in my opinion, I would just suck it up and get the CMS Stage 2 Cams and replace the springs/retainers/seals/locks. I have heard plenty of guys get away just fine with the High Tech Stage 2 Cams with the stock springs but I'm a firm believer of if you're going to do it then do it right the first time. Good luck though man!

Patriot Performance 2V Spring Kit:
Patriot Performance 2V Spring Kit 99-04 [4516] - $259.00 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

CMS 2V Cam Gear Kit:
CMS 2V Cam Gear Kit [CMSCGK] - $119.00 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

CMS Stage 2 N/A Cams:
CMS Stage 2 N/A Cams - $589.00 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
instead of chaseing a number...look for cams that will suite your needs... i know alot of people with hitechs that didnt seen 300rwhp...if you want to chase a number shoot higher lol...the 2011 v6s come with 300;)...and most stage 2s will get you around the 280-290 range

look at cms,mhs,comp,even crower...there are so many cams on the market go for what works for you..

·
Cone Killer
928 Posts
instead of chaseing a number...look for cams that will suite your needs... i know alot of people with hitechs that didnt seen 300rwhp...if you want to chase a number shoot higher lol...the 2011 v6s come with 300;)...and most stage 2s will get you around the 280-290 range

look at cms,mhs,comp,even crower...there are so many cams on the market go for what works for you..
+1...It's not always the car with the highest peak hp number that is the fastest. Nick (MHS) has a dyno sheet on his website of a car before and after an intake manifold swap. The car made more peak hp with the aftermkart intake, but ran slower at the track because midrange torque fell off.

·
Registered
929 Posts
+1...It's not always the car with the highest peak hp number that is the fastest. Nick (MHS) has a dyno sheet on his website of a car before and after an intake manifold swap. The car made more peak hp with the aftermkart intake, but ran slower at the track because midrange torque fell off.
:drink

Yes!!! Total area under the curve. A small gain over a large range can be better than a larger gain over a small range. You should also take into account the entire application (heads, compression, gears, weight, tire size, converter stall, etc.) to make a solid cam choice. I really don't like the way the cam companies have promoted this "stage X" nomenclature.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
The problem with the hightechs/comp270s and cams with similar profiles is that they sacrifice too much down low when installed on our engines without further modification. With cams with a little shorter duration on the intake and a tighter LSA and centerline (like CMS Stage 1 or 2s), you get nearly identical peak hp numbers, but make a ton more torque down low and have broader hp and torque curves. The slightly smaller duration combined with a more advanced centerline and tighter LSA makes for a faster 2v every time.

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The problem with the hightechs/comp270s and cams with similar profiles is that they sacrifice too much down low when installed on our engines without further modification. With cams with a little shorter duration on the intake and a tighter LSA and centerline (like CMS Stage 1 or 2s), you get nearly identical peak hp numbers, but make a ton more torque down low and have broader hp and torque curves. The slightly smaller duration combined with a more advanced centerline and tighter LSA makes for a faster 2v every time.
Thank you. That was probably the most helpful reply I've ever gotten from anybody. Reps

And with the CMS 2's, do I need to get different cam gears or not? And what are the best springs to get?

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
No problem. I run Manley Nextek springs, but most any aftermarket springs will handle the added duration/lift and higher rpm operation. Probably the most popular choices are the nexteks and comp beehives.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts