Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I had some spare time so I swapped in my GT fuel pump and new injectors (I think they are 39 lb, they are the ones with the blue stripe that I believe come with a vortech kit). Everything with that went alright. I plug my tuner in, install the new tune, and go to fire my car up.

Now it runs like absolute dog ****. It starts very hard, sputters and dies sometimes while idling. If I give it some gas in neutral, there's a bit of a hiccup and then it revs up pretty normally. But under load it's ridiculous. If I go over 1500 rpm in any gear it bogs, lurches (kinda goes wom-wom-wom-wom) and sounds like it misses badly. If I'm going down the highway and drop into 4th and gas it, I have absolutely no power. The car drops down to an idle and sounds like it's about to die.

Does anyone have a clue what this could be??? I'm pretty pissed. It ran better with stock injectors and stock tune. Did I get a shitty tune?

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that my A/F is now constantly at 10 or 10.2. I'm not sure if it's lower than that cause that's as low as my gauge reads

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Are the injectors the same ones that came with the kit or did you get new ones?

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
They should be 42lb. I dont know if your tune is set at 39 but it could mess it up a little.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What brand were they? They look just like the ones that come with the vortech kit

N/M I guess it really doesnt matter. If you had you're tune for 42 lb injectors I guess that's what I should do too.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
I got them from MMR and they told me they were Lucas.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's an email tune by RWTD. LMAF 90mm. I've checked for leaks and stuff like that but haven't found anything. I'm stumped. I might just have to get a different tune from Joe and see if that helps

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that my A/F is now constantly at 10 or 10.2. I'm not sure if it's lower than that cause that's as low as my gauge reads
if it is pegged at 10 or 10.2 then wouldn't it be rich? if you have no idea what your injectors were then how can you ask for a tune for them? if the tuner assumed 39# but you installed 42# then you will be dumping more fuel then expected into the motor thus running rich and going into limp mode.

is it blowing black smoke out the rear?

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Don't run it any more. I t sounds very rich and if it's rich enough it can wash down the cylinder walls and dilute the oil. Someting isn't right in the tune would be my first guess, also look for vaccum leaks and leaks in the piping after the maf.

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
It's an email tune by RWTD. LMAF 90mm. I've checked for leaks and stuff like that but haven't found anything. I'm stumped. I might just have to get a different tune from Joe and see if that helps
Hit up James or Ed and they will set you up. Did you tell them about your problem yet? RWTD knows whats up and can fix it for you.:yes

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if it is pegged at 10 or 10.2 then wouldn't it be rich? if you have no idea what your injectors were then how can you ask for a tune for them? if the tuner assumed 39# but you installed 42# then you will be dumping more fuel then expected into the motor thus running rich and going into limp mode.

is it blowing black smoke out the rear?
Yes 10 or 10.2 is rich, I thought that's what I said. And I know what my injectors are, I just couldn't remember what I told the tuner. I looked at some conversation between them and I and I told them they were 42# Lucas injectors and this is what they said:

As for the injectors, those are actually the same injector, I do believe, that Vortech supplies in their 2V kits, so I do have the correct data for those, thankfully. They actually flow around 38 to 39 at Ford base pressure, which is 39.x (they are rated 42 at 3-bar, which is 43.5 psi).

Don't run it any more. I t sounds very rich and if it's rich enough it can wash down the cylinder walls and dilute the oil. Someting isn't right in the tune would be my first guess, also look for vaccum leaks and leaks in the piping after the maf.
Yeah I didn't run it like that for long, I knew something would get f'ed up. I checked my vacuum and it's strong, and I haven't found any leaks in the piping anywhere.

Hit up James or Ed and they will set you up. Did you tell them about your problem yet? RWTD knows whats up and can fix it for you.:yes
I haven't mentioned it to them yet. I'm actually on their forum right now and tell them what's going on.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Could it be dirty/crappy injectors? Is there any way to test them?

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
I haven't mentioned it to them yet. I'm actually on their forum right now and tell them what's going on.
There might be a miss-communication on the injectors. They will get your car running correctly.
Could it be dirty/crappy injectors? Is there any way to test them?
no, its not the injectors. If you are running a draw thru setup it could run rich if you are bleeding off boost thru an intake leak.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts