Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just bought my 07 Mustang GT about 3 weeks ago. Here is what I want to go with I think. Now I am not going for total power here. I don't race and I am moving to NC which I believe I have to pass emissions. The car has 40000 miles on it. I want a little power gain but a nice sound for sure.

I just did the Hurst Short Shifter yesterday and I love it.

1. So next I was thinking the tires are looking a little worn being used, so I think wheels and tires would be best 1st.

2. Next I am thinking BMR lowering kit, with D-spec shocks and struts.

3. C&L Intake with Bama tune and Flowmaster American Thunder Mufflers

4. Now here is where I know people will have there input. I want to go Hotrod cams. (Remember I am not going for huge power gains. I just read a 13 page thread on this). But, since I want the Hotrod cams I don't need new springs but should I go shorties or can stock headers handle the cams with no problems? Yes I would like longtubes, but I have to pass emissions and I will never get a SC or Turbo setup. This will be my DD also.

What do you all think?

That would pretty much be my setup I would like beside some other appearance mods.

·
2011 September ROTM
1,868 Posts
dont waste your money on shorties. you will see almost no gain. the stock manifolds will work fine for you. Nasty is running stock manifolds and making 525rwhp so i'm sure youll be fine. if you going to some cams, why not do the comp cams nsr. you will net more power for the money and they dont require springs either.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dont waste your money on shorties. you will see almost no gain. the stock manifolds will work fine for you. Nasty is running stock manifolds and making 525rwhp so i'm sure youll be fine. if you going to some cams, why not do the comp cams nsr. you will net more power for the money and they dont require springs either.
So either LTH or none at all? I have heard good things on here for the hotrod old school lope sound. Not really needing a huge power gain. I don't race so it doesn't matter all that much. I would just like a little more power than stock. Does the comp cam NSR sound just as good?

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
were i to choose between nsr's or hotrods i would go with the hotrods. you'll have the sound you want and get decent gains. the nsr's sound will be hardly noticeable and give decent gains also. why don't you want to sc the car. what type of money do you plan on spending. i'd personally go with the cai/tuner unless your tires are done for. if you prefer looks absolutely go with wheels, tires, & lowering springs. you don't have to change the shocks/struts when you lower it immediately. the biggest thing to add is an adjustable panhard bar & camber bolts or camber plates (if you have the money)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I am married and have 2 kids and getting ready to move this fall to NC ( I'm military). So you can see it taking some time.

They are the stock tires with 41000 miles on them (They just passed inspection though) I am planning on keeping the car so I will just save for upgrades as I go and bye one thing at a time. Wheels would like nice and since I think I need tires soon I mine as well do the wheels too.

I mean I could wait and go CAI/Tuner first, then Hotrod cam (How much for the install on those????)

If I am going to lower the car I mine as well change out the struts/shocks too. I hear alot of people saying they wished they did at that time.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
If I just went with the BMR lowering kit, would my struts last as a DD? Would it be a lot more rougher of a ride? The ride already is kind of rough on bumpier roads, figured new struts/shocks would help.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
If I just went with the BMR lowering kit, would my struts last as a DD? Would it be a lot more rougher of a ride? The ride already is kind of rough on bumpier roads, figured new struts/shocks would help.
At first you wont feel it being too much rougher, but since your struts already got 41k on them it aint gonna be a cadillac. With thast much mileage it would be a good idea to get new shocks/struts. The more miles you put on the car with stock struts and lowering springs the worse and worse it will ride. BMR has good parts though and i recomend them;)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
were i to choose between nsr's or hotrods i would go with the hotrods. you'll have the sound you want and get decent gains. the nsr's sound will be hardly noticeable and give decent gains also. why don't you want to sc the car. what type of money do you plan on spending. i'd personally go with the cai/tuner unless your tires are done for. if you prefer looks absolutely go with wheels, tires, & lowering springs. you don't have to change the shocks/struts when you lower it immediately. the biggest thing to add is an adjustable panhard bar & camber bolts or camber plates (if you have the money)
Would the stock clutch handle the hotrod cams and CAI/Tuner?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How much would install be roughly for the Hotrod cam?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I had the cam installed I would only have to buy the cam only right? Wouldn't need the wedge or anything else right since it is a NSR cam?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Yes the Hot Rod's use the stock components, and if your haveing someone install them you will not need any tools, because they will be doing it lol

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
Would the stock clutch handle the hotrod cams and CAI/Tuner?
it should without a problem. i was using the stock clutch with a JLT/tuner combo and some mickey thompson et streets launching at 5k at the track and the stock clutch never missed a beat. with that combo and some basic suspension (lowering springs actually hurt a bit more at the 1/4 mile) i was running very consistant high 12.8_'s

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it should without a problem. i was using the stock clutch with a JLT/tuner combo and some mickey thompson et streets launching at 5k at the track and the stock clutch never missed a beat. with that combo and some basic suspension (lowering springs actually hurt a bit more at the 1/4 mile) i was running very consistant high 12.8_'s
Good to know, thanks. I can't wait to do all this upgrade stuff.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
American Muscle is just a warehouse right? They don't do install right?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts