Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 cobra.

Upong acceleration, in any gear, i get a high pitched noise that gets louder as i accelerate. The only way i can drown it out is by accelerating hard enough to let the exhaust take over.

If i decelerate/ engine brake, in any gear the noise changes pitch some and almost becomes more of a rattle. It is louder and more consistent if i am decelerating from a higher speed.

The noises sound the same/related as they seem to come from the same area(underneath or a little bit behing the front seats).

If i push the clutch in while the noise is prevelant and put the transmission in nuetral, the noise goes away. Also, if i am in gear, i can get the noise to stop (from deceleration or acceleration) by slightly applying enough throttle to maintain my speed.

One last thing that seemed odd.... i had the back end jacked up with the wheels off the ground and ran the car in second up to about 3k and then let off, while inside my garage (doors open of course haha) and heard nothing.

Anyone ever have this issue/have any suggestions?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replaced them on Sunday..that was one of my first guesses

·
Registered
265 Posts
I am having same issue and have done the same with no fix yet. I am going to try to replace the rear calipers and rotors if that dont help then lca and axles and bearings. My car has almost the same issue as yours but mine only starts doing it after extended driving period or if i get on it and back and break moderate to heavy then it will start making the noise you described. I think it has something to do with either suspension or brakes or bearing or something heating up.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My TO bearing does chirp but will it make such a loud noise while moving? Anything else to check?

·
Jedi
279 Posts
Ive heard trannys make that sound.. mine included. Kind of a whining sound. Probably needs a rebuild if it is

1 - 10 of 10 Posts