Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I tho2002 mustang, V6, automatic. I drove it earlier today and everything seemed fine, then I tried to drive it a few hours later and it won't start. I will try to explain what it's doing but am not sure how to expalin the problem because I am a girl and do not know much about cars. Basically When I put the key in it sounds like it's going to start but like it won't go that extra step and start. Like it makes the same noise it always does when I put the key in but it's like it won't go any farther. All of the lights turn and the radio and turn signals so I think that means ught maybe someone could give me ideas why my car wont start. It's a it's not the battery. The antitheft light comes on when I am trying to start it, like the antitheft light doesn't blink it just stays on for a few seconds each time i try to turn the key. I also can faintly see the light for the battery lite up on the dash board, i don't know if this is normal. The car has been smelling like gas for awhile now but I don't think it's actually leaking any gas on the ground, so could that have something to do with it not starting? Also sometimes the mileage light goes on and off and the doors randomly locks but I think thats because a few years ago my window wouldn't go up and I got alot of rain in the car, so I think I might have got water damage to some of the wiring/electrical stuff in the car. The car doesn't have much gas in it right now, it's on low fuel but it's always started on low fuel. I usually only put like 5 dollars of gas in it at a time because last time I put $10 in it I only drove 20 minutes and it was already out of fuel again.

So far I have read online that the problem could be the ingnition switch, the fuel pump or fuel filter, or the antitheft system. I read that I could push some switch under the rear fender to reset the antitheft system but doesn't that only for older model mustangs and how do I do this?

I spent $400 on breaks and stuff recently so I am pretty upset now my car won't start. I need to fix this because this it the only car I have to drive.

Please can someone tell me what may be wrong with my car! Also what do I say to the mechanics when I take it to get it fixed so they don't try to rip me off. I am always afraid they will try to screw me over because I am a girl.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
*I am just reposting this because when I posted it the first time it cut out some of the words*

Hello,
I have 2002 mustang, V6, automatic. I drove it earlier today and everything seemed fine, then I tried to drive it a few hours later and it won't start. I will try to explain what it's doing but am not sure how to expalin the problem because I am a girl and do not know much about cars. Basically When I put the key in it sounds like it's going to start but like it won't go that extra step and start. Like it makes the same noise it always does when I put the key in but it's like it won't go any farther. All of the lights turn and the radio and turn signals so I think that means ught maybe someone could give me ideas why my car wont start. It's a it's not the battery. The antitheft light comes on when I am trying to start it, like the antitheft light doesn't blink it just stays on for a few seconds each time i try to turn the key. I also can faintly see the light for the battery lite up on the dash board, i don't know if this is normal. The car has been smelling like gas for awhile now but I don't think it's actually leaking any gas on the ground, so could that have something to do with it not starting? Also sometimes the mileage light goes on and off and the doors randomly locks but I think thats because a few years ago my window wouldn't go up and I got alot of rain in the car, so I think I might have got water damage to some of the wiring/electrical stuff in the car. The car doesn't have much gas in it right now, it's on low fuel but it's always started on low fuel. I usually only put like 5 dollars of gas in it at a time because last time I put $10 in it I only drove 20 minutes and it was already out of fuel again.

So far I have read online that the problem could be the ingnition switch, the fuel pump or fuel filter, or the antitheft system. I read that I could push some switch under the rear fender to reset the antitheft system but doesn't that only for older model mustangs and how do I do this?

I spent $400 on breaks and stuff recently so I am pretty upset now my car won't start. I need to fix this because this it the only car I have to drive.

Please can someone tell me what may be wrong with my car! Also what do I say to the mechanics when I take it to get it fixed so they don't try to rip me off. I am always afraid they will try to screw me over because I am a girl.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to add

I also forgot to say that it has been a little difficult to turn the steering wheel lately but i do know that the power steering fluid is low and the car also shakes a little when I drive at 50mph or above, like the steering wheel will shake. I don't know if these things have anything to do with the car not starting I just thought I should mention it. :confused:Thanks

·
Registered
245 Posts
sounds like a fuel problem,it's not good to keep running the car low on fuel like that. Could be starving for fuel when ya get above 50mph.Might be somethin as simple as a clogged fuel filter from constantly runnin it low,but since you smell fuel could also mean its gettin too much fuel,any check engine light on?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Also i dont know what you consider low fuel but if the light was on when you drove and you didnt put any it when you were driving it you mght just be out of gas,ya know?

·
Jackpot, fishypoopypants!
1,986 Posts
If your electronics are freaking out, you probably have a short. Shorts can do all kinds of wacky things, including stop a car from starting.

Your battery can be low on charge. You can have enough juice to run the lights and radio, and even turn the engine over, but not enough to start it, especially if 1) it's cold, 2) your car has really old plugs

You could just be out of gas.

You could have a bad alternator.

You could have a bunch of stuff wrong, all hitting you at once, because honestly, it doesn't sound like you take care of your car.

When you say, "Like it makes the same noise it always does when I put the key in but it's like it won't go any farther," do you mean it makes the beeping noises and all the lights on the dash come on, but stops there; or, you can hear the engine turn over (the rrrr-rrrr-rrrr sound), but then it stops there?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the reply. so I just tried starting it again and when I put the key in all the lights on the dash came on but when I actually go to turn the key the battery light, theft light, and airbag light came on. When I turn the key it sounds like the engine is turning, it has consistent power. It's not making any clicking noises or beeping or anything. It sounds like it has enough power when it's turning but just wont turn on. I will go buy some gas to put in it and see if that helps. I try to take care of the car, like check the fluids and get oil changes and my friends husband looks it over twice a year but other than that I do really know what else to do, like I never really learned what i am suppose to do to take care of the car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also i dont know what you consider low fuel but if the light was on when you drove and you didnt put any it when you were driving it you mght just be out of gas,ya know?
Like the low fuel light was on last time I drove it but usually I can drive it until it goes past the low fuel light a bit. I can usually drive it for another 30 minutes or so once the low fuel light comes on. I know it's bad to do that, I will try to stop doing that. :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sounds like a fuel problem,it's not good to keep running the car low on fuel like that. Could be starving for fuel when ya get above 50mph.Might be somethin as simple as a clogged fuel filter from constantly runnin it low,but since you smell fuel could also mean its gettin too much fuel,any check engine light on?
Also the check engine light has been on for a few weeks. For the last five years the check again has come on and ever time I check the codes it's always for the EGR valve, so I have to buy a new EGR valve then the check engine light goes off the comes but on a few weeks later. I don't think that has anything to do with the car not starting because the EGR valve has been doing this for years and every year when the mechanic changes it he says it's not a problem.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Your starter probably went.

·
Registered
245 Posts
umm..if the starter went i'm pretty sure it wouldn't crank.I would rescan it to see if theres any new codes if ya can,but ya try gettin some gas,hopefully thats all it is.

·
MoM Fanatic
5,056 Posts
i would guess you may be out of fuel, bad ignition of some type or youre car may be in antitheft mode. first put fuel in it. if it starts head strait to a sunoco and put 20 bucks in fuel in it and dont let it go below 1/4 you may have burnt up youre fuel pump or had a fuse go bad leading to the pump. lastly youre antitheft could be prohibiting fuel from reaching the engine. good luck and probably should have youre freinds husband service youre car more often. i check my car over every 2 weeks but i also own a castrol express lube.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
umm..if the starter went i'm pretty sure it wouldn't crank.I would rescan it to see if theres any new codes if ya can,but ya try gettin some gas,hopefully thats all it is.
wrong bucko. My friends 65 chevelle has a bad starter and his car starts sometimes, you just have to bang on the starter to get it to run.

It may sound wierd but hit the starter with a hammer or something and try cranking it over, if it starts, your starter went...

·
Wiser by the Minute
1,498 Posts
Hey -- Don't drive your car so low on gas. Keep gas in it.

The engine cranks over right? #1

Be very quiet and when you sit in the car and close the doors then crank the key into the on position with everything else off listen for the fuel pump priming the system. Should be a faint wine in the back of the car for about 2 seconds. If that wines then fuel pump should be ok.

If you put gas in and it dosn't start then check the spark 1st...

Take one of your spark plug wires off of the spark plug - Take the plug out -- then reconnect the wire to it. Have someone else crank the engine over and look at the plug to see if it is sparking. If it sparks then you have spark.

If you have spark. I would then change the Fuel filter for sure to try that.

--- If you have spark and you have gas in tank and you changed your fuel filter and still no start I would research how to check the fuel pressuer to ensure your pump is working --

that would be my next guess.

Also check all your vacume lines for cracks or if they are not on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey -- Don't drive your car so low on gas. Keep gas in it.

The engine cranks over right? #1

Be very quiet and when you sit in the car and close the doors then crank the key into the on position with everything else off listen for the fuel pump priming the system. Should be a faint wine in the back of the car for about 2 seconds. If that wines then fuel pump should be ok.

If you put gas in and it dosn't start then check the spark 1st...

Take one of your spark plug wires off of the spark plug - Take the plug out -- then reconnect the wire to it. Have someone else crank the engine over and look at the plug to see if it is sparking. If it sparks then you have spark.

If you have spark. I would then change the Fuel filter for sure to try that.

--- If you have spark and you have gas in tank and you changed your fuel filter and still no start I would research how to check the fuel pressuer to ensure your pump is working --

that would be my next guess.

Also check all your vacume lines for cracks or if they are not on.
Thanks for the reply. I sat in the car with everything off like you said and I turned the key two turns and didn't hear a faint whinning noise comming for the back of the car but I did hear a very faint click noise comming from the back of the car. It sounding like a click kind of how a small pebble sounds when it falls on the ground. Does this mean it's the fuel pump or no
?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wrong bucko. My friends 65 chevelle has a bad starter and his car starts sometimes, you just have to bang on the starter to get it to run.

It may sound wierd but hit the starter with a hammer or something and try cranking it over, if it starts, your starter went...

Where is the starter, "how do I hit the starter"? So if I do this and it works then is it the starter causing the car not to start?

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
You need to post a vid of the car trying to start it would simplify things since it is hard to describe what is going on. The vid should include one from the driver seat. One with the camera under the hood and one from inside the trunk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I tried putting gas in it like you said. I put in 3 gallons about $8 and it still wont start. I also called around and asked how much it would cost to fix the fuel pump with parts and labor I they quoted me $700 to $800, The fuel pump is about $200 so is it too much for them to want $400 to $500 for labor? Oh and then I need to pay another $100 for them to run dignostics on it. That sounds like alot to fix the fuel pump but what do I know. I spent $400 on breaks and stuff just last week, so this whole situation is really stressing me out becuase I need my car to get to work and night classes.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts