Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed my new tranny and after 240 miles around the first time I put some power to it, it developed a serious vibration. Not when moving, not drive shaft, gets worse w/ rpm, parked or moving, and will actually make the front clip move about an inch. Tranny shifts fine and motor runs good as usual. Is it possible that the pressure plate moved? or the fly wheel? I did install a new king cobra clutch kit and did NOT remove flywheel. It is definitely a rotating mass vibration/shaking. I did notice when I just removed the tranny that 3 of the 4 bolts holding to the bell were not as tight as when I installed them. Would that be enough to cause that? I still needed a wrench to loosen them. I'm lost!:confused:

·
Free Mouth Hugs
9,037 Posts
Yeah
Can you feel it baby
I can too

Come on swing it [4 times]

1-2-3 - Now we come to the pay off

It's such a good vibration
It's such a sweet sensation [2 times]

Yo! It's about that time
To bring forth the rhythm and the rhyme
I'm a get mine so get yours

That's all i got. :cool:

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
did you align the clutch disc? are your U joints good, is the trans mount tight/good?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I aligned the clutch and it's not the u joints as I said it happens at a stand still. I'm wondering if the clutch could have moved? I removed the tranny and looked inside to the pilot bearing and all seems to be ok. How out of alignment would it be to cause a ridiculous shake? It was fine for 240 miles and than a little power and all the sudden...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It has a vortech SC on it. How can I check it? The belts dont wobble. I dont know, it seems like to violent of a shake to be that.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
It has a vortech SC on it. How can I check it? The belts dont wobble. I dont know, it seems like to violent of a shake to be that.
There are no belts on the harmoinic balancer so they will still look fine. A bad harmonic balancer can easily make the car shake to the point it feels like stuff is going to start falling off.
Get under and look at it, see if the rubber between the inner and outer ring is in tact and push, pull, and turn on the outer ring with as much force as you can with both hands and see if it moves. Make sure the car is well supported on the stands or ramps before doing that ;)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is on the crank right? The one that the serpentine belt and SC belt snug up against? Closest to the block?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
This is on the crank right? The one that the serpentine belt and SC belt snug up against? Closest to the block?
Yes, the SC/crank pulley is attached to it. I have a SC pulley as well but I think I still had enough room to get in there and check mine with the pulley still on. The stock HB is a two piece design. The pulley attaches to the inner portion with four bolts. The inner portion of the HB is directly attached to the end of the crank by a slot and bolt. The outer ring of the HB is attached to the inner portion through friction by a piece of rubber sandwiched in between them. The rubber gets old and the outer ring slips making the HB useless.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since I already pulled the trans. to check things out, I'm gonna start it w/o the trans and than w/o the clutch and see if it goes away. First I'm gonna visually inspect the HB like you said. I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Since I already pulled the trans. to check things out, I'm gonna start it w/o the trans and than w/o the clutch and see if it goes away. First I'm gonna visually inspect the HB like you said. I guess we'll see.
I hear ya. I'm just throwing that out there, they do fail often. Something out of whack on either end of the crank will cause bad vibes so who knows.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
did you get a flywheel with the stock balance? 50oz?

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
he didnt pull the flywheel... your cluutch may be out of balence or the damper went bad.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I know you said you did NOT remove the flywheel, but I had a similar problem - the shaking was so bad that the shifter sounded like it would jump out. Didn't matter if it was in/out of gear, moving or standing still. The vibration started around 2500 rpm's, and my problem was the flywheel. Not saying this is at all your problem since your flywheel wasn't pulled, just telling what fixed mine.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Fire it up with the trans out and the clutch off of the flywheel that will eliminate the trans

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Too long of a day to fire it up today but I forgot to mention that it would lessen the first second I pressed the accelerator. I don't know, my gut is tellin me clutch or fly. Does anyone know how far out a clutch has to be to cause this? I looked in through the bell and all seems to be ok. My eyes can't see 1 one thousandth though.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
motor balance issue. unlikely that it is the clutch or flywheel. Could be the balancer, could be the flywheel, could be an engine missfire. You need to do more diagnosis.

I would start by replacing the balancer, they are cheap and can be replaced in a hour or less time with the right tools.

If you start the car without the trans in, be sure that you do NOT push the clutch pedal in, or you will have issues with the disc moving all over the place.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
If you start the car without the trans in, be sure that you do NOT push the clutch pedal in, or you will have issues with the disc moving all over the place.
if the trans is out of the car, that means the clutch cable attached to the fork is not connected, so how would pushing a clutch pedal thats attached to nothing move the disc?

·
Registered
55 Posts
if the trans is out of the car, that means the clutch cable attached to the fork is not connected, so how would pushing a clutch pedal thats attached to nothing move the disc?
:popcorn

1 - 20 of 31 Posts