Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I've never posted in this area of the forum before. I've usually in the 3v area. I just bought a 97 GT convertible and the top started running a little sluggish. Last night I went out and the top hung for a sec just as it was almost completely down, but went down on it's own. Later in the evening I went to put it up as it was about to rain and it wouldn't go up. I could hear the motor running and with a little assistance the top went up. I've been searching for help with little luck. The only thing I've seen so far is something about the hydraulic fluid being low and needed to add some. I looked in the trunk for any leaks and it's dry as a chip. I've never worked on a top before, so I'm not sure what all to look for. Does anyone have any experience with a similar problem or possibly know what's wrong? All help will be greatly appreciated!

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
Could be time for some new top motors. They are not that hard to get to. Remove the rear seats and trim panels and you should see them.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I pulled the seats and panels and found a nice mess. The hydraulic fluid was leaking from the passenger side fittings on the ram. Thankfully I was tipped off to MPS AutoSalvage in GA and the guy is getting me a new set of lines for only $30! Now to just clean the mess....ugh...

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
Glad it was something so simple. Grease lightning will help get the fluid cleaned up.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the salvage yard called me today and parts hadn't been shipped because of having the wrong expiration date on my credit card. I was thinking the repair process itself though. Doesn't really seem like anything is in the way, so removing the old lines and installing the new ones should be fairly easy. Once I do this though, what about bleeding the lines of air bubbles? Anyone been here and done it before? Any sugestions?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts