Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so ive got a few problems im concerned about. First off, recently my car has been hard to start in the mornings or after its sat for a while. When i try and start it its like its struggling to start. jerks and whatnot but as as soon as it fully starts it runs fine. this all happened after i replaced the fuel pump. second issue im having is a very slight misfire at idle. its not throwing any codes but you can feel the car mis slightly and my exhaust makes a sort of pop/ bubbling sound. if that makes sense. all plugs and wires have been changed. it only misses like this at idle. once i give it gas it smooths out. i also hear a barely noticeable ticking noise throughout all rpms. its barely noticable and it seems only i can hear it but its definitely there. Finally, my power steering pump whines like a new born baby. ive replaced the pump 3 times, flushed the entire system, done all i know to do. it seems to get quiet after it warms up and when i turn the wheel at idle its not so bad. but once i give it any gas and turn the wheel all hell breaks loose. ive got no leaks and bled the system as ive been told to do so. all help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Okay, so ive got a few problems im concerned about. First off, recently my car has been hard to start in the mornings or after its sat for a while. When i try and start it its like its struggling to start. jerks and whatnot but as as soon as it fully starts it runs fine. this all happened after i replaced the fuel pump. second issue im having is a very slight misfire at idle. its not throwing any codes but you can feel the car mis slightly and my exhaust makes a sort of pop/ bubbling sound. if that makes sense. all plugs and wires have been changed. it only misses like this at idle. once i give it gas it smooths out. i also hear a barely noticeable ticking noise throughout all rpms. its barely noticable and it seems only i can hear it but its definitely there. Finally, my power steering pump whines like a new born baby. ive replaced the pump 3 times, flushed the entire system, done all i know to do. it seems to get quiet after it warms up and when i turn the wheel at idle its not so bad. but once i give it any gas and turn the wheel all hell breaks loose. ive got no leaks and bled the system as ive been told to do so. all help is greatly appreciated.
from my experience all power steering pumps are a little loud on the v6's

and the ticking noise/exhaust noise you hear is an exhaust leak. somewhere on your exhaust manifold (most likely passenger side manifold) has a leak

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now, I know the power steering pumps are loud. But mine is exceptionally loud sadly. And I had the driver side manifold fixed recently and that took away a lot of the noise, but maybe I just need to do the passenger side as well. I'll try it out and see if it helps
With the problem. I see in your picture you've got the windstar intake. Was there a noticeable difference swapping to it?

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Now, I know the power steering pumps are loud. But mine is exceptionally loud sadly. And I had the driver side manifold fixed recently and that took away a lot of the noise, but maybe I just need to do the passenger side as well. I'll try it out and see if it helps
With the problem. I see in your picture you've got the windstar intake. Was there a noticeable difference swapping to it?
depends on how much you plan to do to your car. I would strongly recommend not to buy any type of cold air intake. they are a waste of money because you might pick up 1-2hp. Now the windstar is dyno proven to ad 7hp and 15lbs of tq on a stock motor. but it costs like $400 or something like that.

you probably wont feel much difference with the windstar either but your car would be just a tad quicker.

Now if you want the best "bang for your buck" mod for a stockish v6, its definitely a rear gear. im not sure how familiar you are with upgrades but the stock rear gear ratio in your mustang is 3.27.
If your an auto you should look into 4.10 gears
and if your manual 3.73.

just do some searches on the v6 forum as there is numerous threads about this. adding a new gear ratio will feel like you just added 40hp.

·
Registered
281 Posts
With it being hard to start, its probably just your battery
With the missing at idle, it may be your ignition coils or something similar

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
This is what is commonly called "morning sickness". It happens when fluid can leak past the seals inside the rack. After they warm up, the seals swell up. Best way to fix it. Replace the rack. As far as the pump goes. They are noisy, but if you get cavitation in the fluid, it can get a lot louder.

I would recommend a new rack and pinion and a power steering flush.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts