Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
using plugs, what do i see the holes with to prevent water getting in thats temporary, because come spring I'm going to completely refinish my trunklid and fill the holes / touchup

·
Registered
255 Posts
How are you planning on filling the holes come spring? I asked a body guy about it and he didn't want to do it. He said the filler would shrink.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
How are you planning on filling the holes come spring? I asked a body guy about it and he didn't want to do it. He said the filler would shrink.
i went to a body shop, they said they would weld mine shut. but i guess it depends on the shop :dunno

·
Registered
255 Posts
They're going to weld fiberglass? Lol
(Iirc the trunk and hood are fiberglass ? )
That's what I was thinking, lol. Then I thought maybe he meant weld like they weld plastic. Maybe it applies to fiber glass as well?

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
when i took mine they mentioned gluing a plate or something underneath and then filling it in from there...

i ended up just buying a spoilerless trunk lid and having it painted.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
just a note, the holes do not allow water into the trunk area.
thats not true for all years, my 01 had the 4 holes drain directly into the trunk, the plugs lasted about 2 months and I had to put the spoiler back on because the trunk was getting soaked everytime it rained

·
Registered
594 Posts
My Bullitt came with a spoiler, so I took it off on day one. I filled the holes with fiberglass resin and painted them with touch up paint. The holes are still noticeable because the resin seperated around the edges. A spoilerless lid is ideal.

·
gtscrewd
5,228 Posts
any good shop can fill the holes the correct way so there is no shrinkage or leaks plugs or not i would use some silicone it cant hurt thats for sure

·
aloha ke akua
13,177 Posts
Plugs won't leak I'm pretty sure. I have some I used for a while.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
How would u do this on a steel hatch I got a cobra spoiler and have 4 holes left over big ones

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
gtscrewd
5,228 Posts
How would u do this on a steel hatch I got a cobra spoiler and have 4 holes left over big ones

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
a good shop will weld in a bit of metal fill prime and paint it ushally 200 300 hundred bucks around here

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
I thought the trunk and hood is metal, it looks like it to me through the paint ships I have. :bash:

Could a shop just paint the top of the trunk, and not the deck lid? I have the black vinyl trunk lid inserts, but I don't want to put them on if a shop is going to rip it off to paint and fill the holes.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
gtscrewd
5,228 Posts
I thought the trunk and hood is metal, it looks like it to me through the paint ships I have. :bash:

Could a shop just paint the top of the trunk, and not the deck lid? I have the black vinyl trunk lid inserts, but I don't want to put them on if a shop is going to rip it off to paint and fill the holes.

you would see a tape line if your gonna do it do it right imo

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
I thought so, i didn't know if they could blend it. I am just anxious to black out my trunk lid lol

1 - 20 of 34 Posts