Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about zero plus sizing my stock 255/45/17 tires. Do you have any advise as to what size to get. I am not really familliar with the plus calculation of the tires.

Is it worth it to plus size the tires?

·
Registered
121 Posts
well, plus sizing your tires can help, but it also depends on what type of tire you get. If it was up to me, i would go with a Nitto NT05 315/35/17 in the rear. And what you go with up front is up to you, but that will help with the traction. Do you want to go fats and skinnies or what?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am still really confused about the sizing after reviewing the website above. Can you recommend a fairly cheap tire that has good quality and what size you would use.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
The most important question: what size rims?

If you've got 8" rims, you'd be an idiot to put 305s on 'em. The amount of sidewall flex you'd have would destroy any gain you'd get from the wider tire.

If you want wide tires, you need to get wide wheels.

G

·
If you have 8" wheels then don't go any wider then 275/40/17... Trust me I have been through this.. Thanks for reminding us of that ReverendDexter.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Hrm. 255/45R17s weren't used as a stock tire size. Factory tires on 17x8s were 245/45s, and *I* wouldn't go any wider than 255s on those wheels. I'm more concerned about handling, though, and too-wide tires introduce sidewall slop.

G

·
If you have stock wheels then go 245/45/17 on the front and 275/40/17 on the back.. That will be perfect for your wheels and it will still handle good..

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. I am thinking about getting BF Godrich G Force Tires. Does anyone have any experience with those. I have Yokohamas now but am not really impressed with those. Is there a website you can recommend that sells tires for a decent price

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Thanks. I am thinking about getting BF Godrich G Force Tires. Does anyone have any experience with those. I have Yokohamas now but am not really impressed with those. Is there a website you can recommend that sells tires for a decent price
What are you using the car for? 1/4 mile, corners, or DD? They each have different requirements that different tires will be better for.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I use it for everyday driving but I drive it pretty fast, 85+ miles per hour on a regular basis. I have a speeding problem, lol

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
I use it for everyday driving but I drive it pretty fast, 85+ miles per hour on a regular basis. I have a speeding problem, lol
85 isn't that fast for a modern tire. I think the lowest speed rating is for 120.

For a DD, I highly recommend sticking with an allseason tire. It's not going to have the dry grip of a summer tire, but you also won't have to worry about wet traction. If you're on a budget, I recommend Kumho ECSTA ASXs. For 245/45s, they're less than $100/tire, and they're speed rated.

I also don't suggest going to a wider-than-stock tire unless you're competing in some shape or form. While increasing dry grip, wider tires *decrease* wet grip and increase rolling resistance (which translates to lower fuel economy).

G

·
85 isn't that fast for a modern tire. I think the lowest speed rating is for 120.

For a DD, I highly recommend sticking with an allseason tire. It's not going to have the dry grip of a summer tire, but you also won't have to worry about wet traction. If you're on a budget, I recommend Kumho ECSTA ASXs. For 245/45s, they're less than $100/tire, and they're speed rated.

I also don't suggest going to a wider-than-stock tire unless you're competing in some shape or form. While increasing dry grip, wider tires *decrease* wet grip and increase rolling resistance (which translates to lower fuel economy).
From personal experience I have to disagree with you about the wet grip.. As long as you get an all purpose tire you won't have issues no matter how wide you go.. Do not run drag radials unless you are gonna drag..

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
i run the 315/35/17 in the back. and i run the nitto DR all year round. i live in texas so we dont get much snow/ice etc. earlier this year when we got some ice up in here in the ftw area i had great traction in the back. ive never had a problem, but thats just me. i also dont try to drive like a maniac when weather conditions are bad. MO

1 - 20 of 21 Posts