Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
whats up everyone, my plans for a engine build up with cobra parts is now going to start rolling. My engine will be out of a 1997 crown vic, im going to purchase a cobra crank and 03 or 04 cobra rods. This will be a forced induction build up (turbo or blower). So i need help choosing the correct pistons for a good compression ratio and also need to know what are some good head gaskets and piston rings or other small thing of that nature that can handle around 700 engine horsepower. What type of block is a 97 crown vic? windsor or romeo? Will any modification need to be made to the cobra crank to make work in the block? I would like to add a really nice big blower or turbo cam, what should i look into? Also if i decide blower, which centrifical blower will get me deep into the 500 or touch the 600RWHP range? What is a fuel system setup i need to run with that kind of horsepower. Im trying to make this as much of a budget build up as possible, but really wanting to hear everyones thoughts on a setup that will make 500 to 600rwhp. Thanks for the info and im sure ill think of more questions as we go along.

P.S. of course i will get a hold of some PI heads ;)

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
the 97's had the 4.0's and the 5.0's, not the 4.6's.
your thinking about Explorers, all '92 & up crown vic's had 4.6's, period. no engine options. sorry man :sorry. oh & that motor will be a romeo.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
no ive edited my post...i previously said 97 explorer, then changed it to crown vic.
sorry your right as usual sweet :sorry. but that will still be a romeo block.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
casper who do you think you are trying to correct! LOL.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
sorry I got carried away there for a second :D

Reactions: ajm

·
Registered
121 Posts
well...the answer to the crank, if im not mistaken it will fit fine. And if i were you, i would go turbo, but thats just me. Get a Precision 67mm, or like a 60mm Garrett T3/T4. It would be a little bit easier for you to achieve your 500-600 hp goal.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well...the answer to the crank, if im not mistaken it will fit fine. And if i were you, i would go turbo, but thats just me. Get a Precision 67mm, or like a 60mm Garrett T3/T4. It would be a little bit easier for you to achieve your 500-600 hp goal.
yea, i was thinkin the on3 kit, ive done a lil reading about them and have recently seen a guy make 607 on 13 psi with it...he has the 5.0 stroker kit though, would i have to modify the block to make the stroker kit work?

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
just reread your original post, 600 rwhp is asking a lot out of a "budget build" don't you think? you do realize that much power is pretty much useless anywhere but on a drag strip (& even then you'll need a ton of supporting mod's to get the most out of it) don't you?

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
I didnt read everything word-word but ill agree with casper. 600 to the wheels on a "budget" build is a bit iffy. I Wouldnt trust 600 to the wheels on a budget build unless I built it myself which I would know damn well its correct. I would also have to say casper is the most knowledgeable guy around here when it comes to track times and how various things work on the track/numbers wise. Wrost comes to worst and youre as incompetent as an umm......a prehistoric **** should I say...to satisfy some mods requests from the hood You could have it built for you but id definitely make sure things are done correctly.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
budget building FTW. :yes

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just reread your original post, 600 rwhp is asking a lot out of a "budget build" don't you think? you do realize that much power is pretty much useless anywhere but on a drag strip (& even then you'll need a ton of supporting mod's to get the most out of it) don't you?
i agree 600 is alot, you'll prolly think im even crazier when i say its going to be my daily driver, but thats just the first number that popped in my head for a goal, i just figured since im building an engine why not go big or go home. but as a said i will be buying cobra parts minus pistons, get some brand new pistons and all the gaskets and rings and stuff. Do most of the work myself with a friend of mine who owns his own performance shop lookin over my shoulder. Speaking of supporting mods...what kind of fuel system am i looking at?

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
twin GT supecar pumps will do you good.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
yeah... its baffled. definitely want that. would hate to ruin that motor over starving for fuel

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
haha no kidding, i need to read up on drilling hole in the basket so i doesnt get sucked dry, does the cobra tank have 2 places for 2 pumps or is just the inside designed better?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts