Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about a year ago my brother got this polishing compound from turtle wax, and i used it on my car with a pad and taking itoff with a microfiber. it put grainy small scratches in my clearcoat and could be seen when i look close-up to the paint. so i left it for a while, waxed the car a lot to see if it would eventually come out after a while, and it didn't. so my brother has this ultimate compound i used about two weeks ago with a drill and an applicator pad/velcro drillbit to stick to the pad, which was about 6 inches in diameter. i used it like a buffer on my car with the ultimate compound to see if something less gritty would take out something left behind that was, i learned afterwards, pretty damn gritty. so now there's swirl marks all over the car (only did hood, front quarter panels, trunk, spoiler and rear bumper) and can be seen the best in bright sunlight. i'll try to take a picture if needed. i used scratch and swirl remover (turtle wax) on monday after washing, and it didn't do much to wash out the swirls.

any ideas? did i just royally ruin my paint?

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Hmm, are you sure they were not there before your used the compound? Compare to the rest of your car.

Also, any compound will leave swirls after it is done. Compounds should be followed up with a finer finishing polish. Compound is designed to expose new clear coat, which you then have to refine even more to get it back to the smooth glossly look.

I also imagine that this drill attachment is not powerful enough to really make good correction. I would suggest using a foam applicator and doing this by hand over this drill attachment.

Grab you some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish. Use the compound first, followed by a different applicator and the polish. Wipe with a good Microfiber, and look at the results.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
No it should be correctable but since you went about using a rotary buffer basically being the drill with the backing plate and pad attachment; then you which are un experienced using a rotary style buffer caused more damage. This can all be fixed check out this thread on what you will need to invest in to get the job done.;) Luckly for you we just made this thread to help out members like yourself to know what to purchase, check out the last post. All the products you need to invest in are professional products to get the job done so be aware that it will cost you but will be very worth it.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/general-car-care-detailing/214893-beginner-detail-setup.html

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i will take note of that list for sure. since i'm not in the best financial situation at the moment, would the polish be a reasonable route to take?

i used the ultimate compound on my hood, trunk, and other areas i mentioned already with the drill (rotary) buffer/pad. should i go over it again by hand or soemthing?

should i just go ahead and finish off, with the drill buffer maybe with a different technique, the areas i didn't get yet, just to make it all even? or is that a bad idea?

and yes the paint does look different than it did when i bought it. i never used the polishing compound or ultimate compound on the roof of my car. just wax

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it was meguiars ultimate compound that i used

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
yeah i will take note of that list for sure. since i'm not in the best financial situation at the moment, would the polish be a reasonable route to take?

i used the ultimate compound on my hood, trunk, and other areas i mentioned already with the drill (rotary) buffer/pad. should i go over it again by hand or soemthing?

should i just go ahead and finish off, with the drill buffer maybe with a different technique, the areas i didn't get yet, just to make it all even? or is that a bad idea?

and yes the paint does look different than it did when i bought it. i never used the polishing compound or ultimate compound on the roof of my car. just wax
Not sure what you mean by going with the polish? You can try going over it all by hand with ultimate compound then following up with ultimate polish. (I cant tell you it will fix the damage that has already been done though) I do suggest you at least invest in these hand cutting pads if your going to do it by hand if not dont even attempt it again, until you get the proper products and tools to get the job done correctly. The orange is to use with a compound or medium grade polish, the white is to be used with finishing polish and the red is use to apply your sealant or wax. If you want to you can invest in the Menzerna Compound/polishes/sealant kit if you planing to purchase the PC int the future and attempt correcting the finish by hand they are worlds better than the Meguiars over the count stuff like Ultimate compound and Ultimate polish, but like I said I am not sure if you are going to get the result your looking for. Also dont go doing more damage thats just dumb, don't use the drill and that backing attachment with the foam pad at all anymore.

CCS Euro Foam Hand Applicators Trio

http://detailersdomain.com/carcareproducts/menzerna_compounds_polishes/CompleteMenzerna16Kit.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts