Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to set up an audio system in my 99 GT and was wondering which sub to go with. I am set on the Polk Audio SR line, but am torn between the 10" and 12". I listen to hard rock/metal (Disturbed, Metallica, etc.). I know 10s are usually recommended for this style of music for the quick drum kicks, but I see that the SR line is really set up for SQ. I am just worried that the SR10 will not put out enough volume. Would the 12" be able to keep up?

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
let me dismiss the "smaller subs are better for rock" because that is total BS. both subs will perform the same sound wise with the same power. given the larger sub will be louder because of the increase in surface area.

now if you have the power and space to give the 12's what they want then go for it. if not then go for the 10's

its better to supply the smaller sub with the space and power it needs then compromise on the space for a larger sub. you will end up with a poor sounding product.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So if I have the space, then you think I should go for the 12? The 10 and the 12 both are rated at 700 RMS. My amp puts out 800 RMS.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So y'all think the 12 will keep up with the fast kick drum lines and not sound "muddy"?

·
Registered
535 Posts
if the box is built right, yes it will. sealed or ported u can "tune" for the desired sound. i had 2 15's in a 4th order wall tuned a little higher and it ket up with rock/metal all day. there is a lot more to it than woofer size.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
cone size has the least to do with how the sub plays. give it the right amount of power and it will sound fine. go with the 12 and build the right enclosure

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay so Polk recommends a 0.88 ft^3 sealed enclosure, taking into consideration that the driver displacement of 0.14 ft^3. So a box around 1 ft^3 will be what I'm looking at. I will be feeding it 800 RMS through my Boston Acoustics GTA-800m. Probably building the enclosure with 5/8 MDF. Is 3/4 MDF needed for this size sub?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay. Good deal. I won't be able to do this project until the end of summer, but I'll be posting pics. BTW I am gutting the Mach 460 and replacing everything.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright guys, so the 12 it will be. Thanks for all of the input.

·
Registered
200 Posts
You will love those subs. I run 2 12 mm series polks and love them. Just too much for the car at times with how many rattles it has even after a lot of work on it. The nice thing about polks lines is they do good in small sealed boxes. Post how you like them when you are done, Id like to hear about it.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay I will. I may have an issue getting it when I get the money. I think Polk discontinued the SR12...at least that is what Crutchfield told me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts