Modded Mustang Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
There is no pressing issue. There is a YUUUGE difference between gay marriage and polygamy. People practicing polygamy can still go and get married to at least one person (since I've now learned it's not legal in any way) and make use of the benefits involved with state-recognized marriage. Gay people were literally denied the right to marriage AT ALL.

Now if some group of people were denied the right to marriage AT ALL just because they had an interest in having multiple partners, that'd probably be a bigger issue.
One could argue gay people were not denied the right to marriage, they just couldn't marry who they wanted. Polygamy people aren't denied the right to marriage, they just cannot marry who they want [in terms of quantity and person]. The Polygamy person does not receive the benefits to all their "wives" and it's only for one single person. In each case in the past, a choice had to be made. That is how they are very similar.

I honestly don't see how someone could be for gay marriage but against polygamy choice in marriage. They are one in the same for the thought logic. I think the government should allow both. However, as I stated earlier I don't see it happening as polygamy doesn't have the money behind it to go through our government.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I don't think it will happen unless some new religion or way of life get ushered into the states that allow it. then I think it will only happen if people of said religion/group move up in the ranks of the government. bringing in their beliefs to main view of the masses and asking for help to make America more accommodating to that belief.

i always wondered how that "Sister Wives" show got away with it on tv. they say he is married to all of them. i know its supposed to be illegal and the Mormons frown on it. ones here do to....then again they don't even want people calling them Mormons. i think they fear people would group them as bad people for what it had been like in the past.

as far as the people i know that are Latter-day Saints. they are very nice people. almost all of them were super smart, hard workers, and very accommodating to others and their beliefs. a girl and her sister used to work at McDs with me when i was a college guy and the older one invited me to something cause she had to have a "date". i picked her up at her place cause her dad wanted to talk to me before we went to this meeting to walk me through some basics. i walked into their house with a mtn dew and they all look at me like i committed a sin. come to find out they said they didn't believe in drinking alcohol or soda. due to a rule saying you aren't supposed to eat, drink, or smoke anything that will leave you mind or body altered in a bad way. lets just say that was a long night for me. meet some seriously nice people though.

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
One could argue gay people were not denied the right to marriage, they just couldn't marry who they wanted. Polygamy people aren't denied the right to marriage, they just cannot marry who they want [in terms of quantity and person]. The Polygamy person does not receive the benefits to all their "wives" and it's only for one single person. In each case in the past, a choice had to be made. That is how they are very similar.

I honestly don't see how someone could be for gay marriage but against polygamy choice in marriage. They are one in the same for the thought logic. I think the government should allow both. However, as I stated earlier I don't see it happening as polygamy doesn't have the money behind it to go through our government.
I've already stated I could not care less who or what people want to marry and at what quantity. It has literally zero bearing on my existence in this world and the fact that people believe there should even be a discussion about it blows my ****ing mind. Mind your own damn business and move forward with your life if someone's choice isn't hurting an unwilling participant - people waste too much energy worrying about other people and interjecting themselves into their problems and lives. [DISCLAIMER: using the generalized "you" in this post, not "you" specifically]

---------- Post added at 11:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

as far as the people i know that are Latter-day Saints. they are very nice people. almost all of them were super smart, hard workers, and very accommodating to others and their beliefs.
Exactly my experience as well

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
The Mormon religion does not approve of polygamy.Period. There are sects & groups that have split away from the main church to create these 'Helter Skelter' / 'Manson' type movements. Those are some sick bastards that marry off their young daughters to the sect leaders.
Back in the day the Mormon religion practiced this as a way to protect their people. There were more women than men in the church. They were being prosecuted for their beliefs, therefore they practiced polygamy and moved to Utah to escape being burned at the stake.
To OP's point, I do not think this would ever be legal. But who knows??? A couple of years ago if you told me that Trump had a good chance to be president I would have laughed in your face.
I grew up in the Mormon religion. There are some good values that are the basic's of their belief.
I turned out ok. 1 wife. 2 sons. Pay my taxes. Work hard. 1 Mustang in my garage. Life is good...
I've never held anything against anyone no matter what their religion is, nor do I automatically believe any of the rumors without asking.

Now I did have an ex girlfriend who was mormon, but I can't blame her being a horrible person on that, her parents and sister seemed to be straight up nice folks.

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
Just the thought of having another woman telling me what to do is enough to say hell no!!
LOL!!!!

John

---------- Post added at 07:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 AM ----------

as far as the people i know that are Latter-day Saints. they are very nice people. almost all of them were super smart, hard workers, and very accommodating to others and their beliefs. a girl and her sister used to work at McDs with me when i was a college guy and the older one invited me to something cause she had to have a "date". i picked her up at her place cause her dad wanted to talk to me before we went to this meeting to walk me through some basics. i walked into their house with a mtn dew and they all look at me like i committed a sin. come to find out they said they didn't believe in drinking alcohol or soda. due to a rule saying you aren't supposed to eat, drink, or smoke anything that will leave you mind or body altered in a bad way. lets just say that was a long night for me. meet some seriously nice people though.
When I was 17 I took my sisters friend to the Drive In. We talked a little and then I told her I was going to the snack bar to get us some food and drink. I ordered a pizza and 2 large Cokes. Brought it back to the car and we continued talking and eating. I noticed she wasn't drinking her Coke so I said "Aren't you thirsty? Drink up!" She took a little sip but as we dived back into conversation she starting drinking more. About 20 minutes later she was like a rooster on crack! She was mormon and had never drank a Coke before. She had never experienced caffeine before.

John

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
LOL!!!!

John

---------- Post added at 07:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 AM ----------

When I was 17 I took my sisters friend to the Drive In. We talked a little and then I told her I was going to the snack bar to get us some food and drink. I ordered a pizza and 2 large Cokes. Brought it back to the car and we continued talking and eating. I noticed she wasn't drinking her Coke so I said "Aren't you thirsty? Drink up!" She took a little sip but as we dived back into conversation she starting drinking more. About 20 minutes later she was like a rooster on crack! She was mormon and had never drank a Coke before. She had never experienced caffeine before.

John
You defiled her!

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
You defiled her!
I know. I felt so guilty I actually agreed to meet her parents afterwards. I had no idea that she was mormon nor did I know that there was a religion that prohibited any sort of food.

John

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
I know. I felt so guilty I actually agreed to meet her parents afterwards. I had know idea that she was mormon nor did I know that there was a religion that prohibited any sort of food.

John

And you missed the perfect opportunity to open her mind to breaking even more rules... ;)

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
And you missed the perfect opportunity to open her mind to breaking even more rules... ;)
Trust me I tried....:wink2:

John

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,539 Posts
My wife is an Anthropologist. She has studied cultures from the far past to the present. I rarely listen when she lectures me but here is something that I picked up. Polygamy only exists when there is an economic benefit for it.

I'm an accountant, economist. In our current society how does polygamy exist? What are the economic benefits? Perhaps its because only one wife is legitimate and the others are single mothers. Perhaps government welfare is paying for the secondary wives and their children.

I don't give a damn about the number of wives or children someone has. I just don't think that I ( through taxes) need to pay for it. How else does a man with a menial job support twenty children?

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
21 - 32 of 32 Posts