Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm currently running these smoked Raxiom Halo projectors with an HID setup on my 2013 Mustang.

The previous owner for some reasons scrapped the OEM HID ballast & setup and replaced it with a Toyota/Denso 35W ballast and D2S bulbs(these fit because the threading is same as on OEM D3S).

I have aimed the lights properly but, even with HID's, the light output is very poor. About 2-4x less brighter than halogen's on my 08 Nissan Sentra. I don't doubt the ballasts because the toyota ones are usually good quality.

I've been thinking of upgrading to LED's and getting rid of the whole ballast setup, to somehow increase light output. Some users have mentioned the LED's somehow lit up the road better than HID although I'm not sure how..

Any suggestions that doesn't involve getting rid of the Raxioms?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I wouldn’t go with leds to be honest. The problem is that most oem and aftermarket headlights are designed for halogens or hids, which have the filament in a specific location. Leds do not necessarily have the chip in the same location as it’s corresponding bulb type so they do not perform well. They might work ok but not like they’re intended and will scatter/blind other drivers. You may get lucky though through trial and error.

Also I believe oem Ford hids are 55w but I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn’t go with leds to be honest. The problem is that most oem and aftermarket headlights are designed for halogens or hids, which have the filament in a specific location. Leds do not necessarily have the chip in the same location as it’s corresponding bulb type so they do not perform well. They might work ok but not like they’re intended and will scatter/blind other drivers. You may get lucky though through trial and error.

Also I believe oem Ford hids are 55w but I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have a point there. But these raxiom smoked headlights are designed for the 35W OEM ballasts and bulbs.

I guess I'll give LED's a shot because these headlights are not rated for 55w ballasts, which would probably melt them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts