Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I broke something in my stock TR3650 five speed.

I was at the strip and after I completed my shift into second I lost all power to the tires. Motor is fine. I coasted for about 3/4s of a mile (all the way to the end of the shutdown area at Atco). Rattling noises coming up from the middle of the dash area near the radio. With the clutch depressed I can shift into all the gears. I haven't torn anything down. I'm guessing it's the input or output shaft.

I run mid to high elevens so I guess I'm not surprised the stock transmission went if that's what it is. I've got hundreds of passes on it.

I'm thinking about getting a TKO500 with a (upgraded) 26-spline input shaft. What change(s) do I have to make to the clutch and anything else to make this new transmission fit? I'll be getting a SFI rated bellhousing as well.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
IDK if it's the input shaft or not but it's very highly likely. Call ProMotion Trans in Florida and order your new indestructible beast. Orrrrrrrr you can join the C4 club.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
If it was the input shaft, wouldn't the clutch pedal feel weightless, and wouldn't go into gear?

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Nah, the shaft will remain more or less in the correct position. The TOB operates independently of the input shaft. It will go into gear any time the input shaft isn't turning.... broken shaft = clutch disengaged. The trans doesnt' know why it's not turning and doesn't care, as long as it's not turning it'll go into gear.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
OH okay, got ya. I was under the impression that it would fall out of where it goes through the clutch/flywheel. But it's in there a few inches, plus the pressure from the cable.

Yeah I'd agree on the input shaft then.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Remember it passes through the bearing retainer (and fork/TOB) then into the disc(which is held in place by the pressure plate and therefore can't fall out), then into the pilot bearing in the crank hub. It'll stay but it'll raise hell.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
yeah sounds like input. Inputs usually break during a shift 90% of the time

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
yeah sounds like input. Inputs usually break during a shift 90% of the time
Info from the King of the broken 3650! Glad to see your still around, haven't seen you in a few.

How's the baby bump coming along? We've got 8 weeks 'til mine arrives.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Info from the King of the broken 3650! Glad to see your still around, haven't seen you in a few.

How's the baby bump coming along? We've got 8 weeks 'til mine arrives.
we are close together. yesterday was 32 weeks so we are also at 8 weeks to go. Been busy with everything else. I did however just finish up my mid pipe today, going to put it on, see how the new exhaust sounds, then take it back off to remove the trans again :)

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
we are close together. yesterday was 32 weeks so we are also at 8 weeks to go. Been busy with everything else. I did however just finish up my mid pipe today, going to put it on, see how the new exhaust sounds, then take it back off to remove the trans again :)
Damn... makes me jealous. I know mine's on hold for a decent bit...... so I washed it AND waxed it..... and parked it. I suspect i'll miss next season with the addition of the 3rd child.... and we're getting ready to build a house...... I bought a metal building to build my new shop on the land I bought to build the house on..... I just don't see racing next year at all. Glad to see you're still hard at it though. Just a few weeks left and the sleepless nights begin!

Hope everything stays good with yours.. and mine.... no problems and healthy babies for both!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm thinking about getting a TKO500 with a (upgraded) 26-spline input shaft. What change(s) do I have to make to the clutch and anything else to make this new transmission fit? I'll be getting a SFI rated bellhousing as well.
You'll need a 26 spline clutch, SpeedCal, a couple of 1/4" transmission shims (I got mine from Fortes), and relocate the crossmember forward slightly. You'll also have trouble connecting your reverse light, as the 3650 harness uses a weatherpack connector. You could go to a T-45 harness to resolve that.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I would just buy a ProMotion powertrain built 3650. Itll bolt right up. Only $1700, and is rated for more then the TKO500

·
Registered
255 Posts
^ That's defintely the better way to go, unless you can find one for a steal. The only reason I bought my TKO600 was because it was $1100 and had 1000 miles on it (rebuilt). It's a great transmission though and a blast to drive!

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Ive heard people hating there TKO600's? 2nd gear lock outs or something?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've heard that it's hard to shift at high RPMs. Some people complain, others don't. I've never had a problem with it and I shift mine at 6000RPM when I'm really on it. A friend of mine has one in his 89 turbo 347 Fox and he has no complaints either. I think the guys that can't get into gear need to grow a pair, personally.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Maybe upwards of 6500+? At that point, maybe needs a twin disc clutch. I know people with new GTs say with the boss intake, its hard to shift at higher RPM's like 7300+ Same trans as the Boss, only difference is the Boss uses a twin disc, GT uses a regular clutch.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Just build your own custom trans for about 500$ and shift at as high of an rpm as you want :shiftyeyes

·
Registered
255 Posts
That's entirely possible. Only thing I can think to do is try shifting it at 6500 and report back:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts