Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2003 MACH 1, stock suspension except after market rear shocks and full length subframe connectors.

ever since i have had the car ther has been a popping noise coming from the front end, especially when its cold outside. i noticed the dust cover on the driver side lower ball joint had a tear in it, so i replace both passanger and driver lbj's.

the popping noise is still there, its actually worse. and the car overall feels loose when driving. i feel like im all over the road when driving on the interstate and it feels real unstable when im over 100mph. the car just broke 50k miles.

any sugestions on what i should look for next?

·
Photoshop Junkie
1,445 Posts
Have a friend rock the car from side to side while you look and listen under the front end. You should be able to find the damage pretty quick this way.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had a similiar problem with the popping noise when I would steer left or right. Car had a lowered suspension though and it was the spring, brushing against a plastic fender. Shaved fender to eliminate noise. As for the "loose" feel, it was my rack and pinion. Hope the helps :dunno

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have a friend rock the car from side to side while you look and listen under the front end. You should be able to find the damage pretty quick this way.
ill give that a try this weekend.

I had a similiar problem with the popping noise when I would steer left or right. Car had a lowered suspension though and it was the spring, brushing against a plastic fender. Shaved fender to eliminate noise. As for the "loose" feel, it was my rack and pinion. Hope the helps :dunno
thats sounds alot like what im experiencing. popping louder when i turn left or right at a take off, however im sitting on stock springs, will check into the rack and pinion, thanks guys.

·
Registered
21 Posts
check yoursteering rack bushing and see if your steering rack is moving when you turn the wheel , i just did mine, cost was about 20bucks for new sleeves and new polyurthane bushings for 22bucks!! i had a creaking noise and a little loose steering feel, all gone now, took me about a hour with basic tools!!! there is tsb for it too,
found this video online : thats what mine did too but not that excessive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDj6bQf07Nw

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
check yoursteering rack bushing and see if your steering rack is moving when you turn the wheel , i just did mine, cost was about 20bucks for new sleeves and new polyurthane bushings for 22bucks!! i had a creaking noise and a little loose steering feel, all gone now, took me about a hour with basic tools!!! there is tsb for it too,
found this video online : thats what mine did too but not that excessive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDj6bQf07Nw
good info, thanks man.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts