Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My exhaust makes popping sound every 5-10 seconds. It does it mostly at 1500rpm. I can barely notice it while driving, but when stopped it's pretty apparent. Is this a misfire? I have an H pipe with gutted cats and no mufflers, I can tell its coming from the driver's side exhaust.

My car is all stock except exhaust and a sniper tuner. I've tried the stock tune but it doesn't make any difference. I've tried turning off the egr, making idle richer and lowering spark advance, that didn't make any difference either.

I've changed the plugs and fuel filter recently. Plugs are autolite double platinum gapped at 52.

The car runs good, there's no cel. I've tried data logging but everything seems to be normal, the only thing is the spark advance jumps from around 20 to 40 every once in a while, but only at idle and it’s not consistent with the popping (could be a glitch in the software?).

I’m thinking it’s the ignition system.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
mine pops but thats onyl when i let off at like 3000 rpm
not sure what it could be. check your spark plugs?

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
sounds like u have some nasty stage 2 or 3 cams in your passenger side head hahaha lol.

My r u sure its only the drivers side, b/c gutted cats with an H will pop alot, just cuz the cats arnt catching all that unburnt fuel...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It pops on the stock tune just as much. When it warms up it does it more especially at idle. Yea it does sound like its loping lol.

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
having gutted cats will do that. the cats are there to burn excess fuel.
just lean out the tune a tad.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
honostly man... its not really a problem, unless ur reading bad A/F, u'll be fine, its just part of having an o/r midpipe mixed with a v8 car.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
before you get a leaner tune, make the vid... u dont wanna accidently make it too lean, then boom.

Seriously, post the vid up on this thread and we'll help u out, we all know stangs pretty well and we'll help solve it for ya... u just dont want to screw around with a/f until ur sure its running rich and the sound is infact the fuel in the pipes

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, leaner tune (+.6) doesn't seem to make any difference.

Here's the video, it pops at 30, 45, 50, 52 secs.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Ok, leaner tune (+.6) doesn't seem to make any difference.

Here's the video, it pops at 30, 45, 50, 52 secs.

YouTube - Exhaust popping
hmmm.... thats really wierd, never quite heard anything like that. was ur car cold when u started it?

I have no idea what that is, thats really wierd. Does it just do it when the engine is cold, or when its warm. If both, does it do it more when its warm?

If it does it a lot when its warm it could quite possible be still too rich idk...
if u keep making it leaner and it keeps doing it, u might wanna take it in, could possible be a missfire... again, dont take my work on it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
btw what catback do u have... that sounds really damn deep
I used to have flows (one of my youtube vids) but I cut them out recently. Other than that its stock. Stock H, no mufflers, gutted cats. It sounds a bit raspy at idle but once you hit 3000rpm it sounds beautiful. :D

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Very nice! I never thought a stang could sound good w/o mufflers but i actually think that sounds quite nifty lol.

Get another vid up of a flyby!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very nice! I never thought a stang could sound good w/o mufflers but i actually think that sounds quite nifty lol.

Get another vid up of a flyby!!!
Thanks! I'll make one later on today.

I didn't think it would sound good either. I took mufflers off for the track day (road racing) and was going to put them back on afterwards, but I liked it and decided to stay like this for a while. The only downside is that I wake my neighbours up and it gets on my ears driving 30 minutes to work every day. Other than that its great.

Oh and another downside is that everybody on the street thinks I'm trying to race them, especially when heel-toeing. Damn ricers...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts