Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
AHRC Suffolk, NY CarShow
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,
i am installing an oil pressure gauge in my gauge pod.
i believe i read somewhere that there is a screw-in fitting located near the oil sending unit .... is that correct ??
that i can just unscrew this fitting and screw-in the gauge pod sending unit ??
i was told to disconnect the factory gauge sender and put in a brass "tree" adapter wherein the 1) factory sender 2) new gauge pod sender and 3) supercharger oil feed ...can all tap into ?? is that correct ??
what is the name of this fitting and where do i buy one ?

thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Yes sir, on the bottom of the unit there is an allen, if it wasnt snowing out side id put it up and get a pic but its too cold, you just get the right fittings (proly came with gauge) unscrew the allen I think it is and screw yours in, check for leaks with it not mounted in your car before you mount it so If theres a problem you dont leak oil all over the damn place (if its mechanical im assuming)

Fittings are brass, compression fitting for tube than adapter, I didnt have tounplug anything my unit has a spot in the bottom of the unit, if yours doesnt than you might have to do the T thing but check first

·
AHRC Suffolk, NY CarShow
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes sir, on the bottom of the unit there is an allen, if it wasnt snowing out side id put it up and get a pic but its too cold, you just get the right fittings (proly came with gauge) unscrew the allen I think it is and screw yours in, check for leaks with it not mounted in your car before you mount it so If theres a problem you dont leak oil all over the damn place (if its mechanical im assuming)

Fittings are brass, compression fitting for tube than adapter, I didnt have tounplug anything my unit has a spot in the bottom of the unit, if yours doesnt than you might have to do the T thing but check first
thanks, i will check for an allen fitting.
question...will oil gush out if i unscrew this fitting ? do i have to drain the oil first ?

·
I like boobs!!!
3,869 Posts
Oil will come out if you remove that fitting. My advice is to go to home depot and get McGyver with some pipe fittings to make what you need. That's what I did.

·
Registered
462 Posts

Some people might not think its funny, but in Austin Texas when it's cold and snowing, that deserves a laugh

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
Yes that is where you can get the best reading for your Oil pressure, you will loose about 1/2 quart when removing the Screw just let it flow out before starting. I used about a 12" line and ran my oil presure sending unit out of that area and mounted up higher in the engine bay.

Reactions: on edge

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
If you like I can take a picture of mine in about an hour

Sent from my LG-AS680 using AutoGuide App

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts

Reactions: on edge

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
I remind way higher than that in case something in the road was to break the line it wouldn't be so low.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Its not as low as it looks in the picture. Plus I usually have the copper line zip tied to the clutch cable but moved it out of the way for the pic

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
Looks like you're actually running a mechanical gauge. I ended up going with a electronic gauge.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Correct I will only run mechanical oil and water temp

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
There's been a Especially big misconception About the accuracy of electronic gauges. Electronics have advanced so much these days That they are actually more accurate than a mechanical gauge Depending on the brand and quality that you buy. In my business we have totally gotten away from mechanical gauges And went to electronic Because it's a lot more accurate and responds fasterto changes.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
It had nothing to do with thinking its more accurate. I like to save all the power from the battery for keeping the car running and not having to power accessories. Just personal preference

·
AHRC Suffolk, NY CarShow
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes that is where you can get the best reading for your Oil pressure, you will loose about 1/2 quart when removing the Screw just let it flow out before starting. I used about a 12" line and ran my oil presure sending unit out of that area and mounted up higher in the engine bay.

reps given to both....thank you !
i appreciate the technical info and taking the time out to take a pic !

i also have an electrical oil gauge.

SSG Pate .... so you ran a line from that area, THEN you hooked up the sender unit to this line ?? ( to protect the sender unit from damage ?? )
where would i get a pre-made line from..i dont like to make lines with clamps ?
im also guessing i could run the oil feed for the blower from the same spot ?

thank you.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
although im not going to lie I saw those black gauges that mustang girl has in her GT AND DAMN THEY LOOK NASTY, Imma bout to try and find some right now I think lol

·
AHRC Suffolk, NY CarShow
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
my car is a 99 gt...and the oil filter area looks nothing like the pic from F8L GT, whose car is a 2002.
my oil sending unit points backward and no where do i see a port :(

F8L .... i see the elbow wherein you adapted the fittings to fit the line for your oil pressure gauge. except for the elbow, is everything else stock..or was your original sending unit also facing to the rear like mine, and you made multiple adaptations ??

ssg pate .... do you have a pic of yours ??... as your car is a 2000, it might be the same as mine. maybe they changed things in 2001.

F* ME man .....i have the worst time uploading pics. i suck. im trying to post a pic so you can all see what i am talking about. im sooo pissed off !

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
On edge there is another Option you could use which is called the oil filter sandwich in which I used on mine before I redone my motor. I was extremely happy with the simplicity of it, and the pressure was very accurate.

Vehicle Specific Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter

1 - 20 of 21 Posts