Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had their 4v heads ported on the 4.6? N/A, and how much of a HP did you get.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Im in the process of porting some 4v heads in class, they will never go on anything thu ha, but if you have cams your car could really take advantage of some head work. more then just a crappy port job thu

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
depends on what cam u have and ur bolt ons

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
Yeah, I have and SWEET2KSTANG has done a set for Doc8824. I ghighly suggestion some serious massaging of the intake. I notice the biggest gains when I was running Comp Stage 1's, A custom short runner intake, and set of PHP ported heads. Although I don't remember what kind of numbers I was pushing back then N/A I do remember making 570/611 on a 150 pill.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
i am doing my "stage 1" porting right now on machboy's heads. doc's set up is a little different for his application, but i think he is going to be changing again in the near future. there are variables on set ups, but you can see between 15-30 depeding on whats going on.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Yeah, I have and SWEET2KSTANG has done a set for Doc8824. I ghighly suggestion some serious massaging of the intake. I notice the biggest gains when I was running Comp Stage 1's, A custom short runner intake, and set of PHP ported heads. Although I don't remember what kind of numbers I was pushing back then N/A I do remember making 570/611 on a 150 pill.
where u get ur custom short runner?

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
Originally I ported it myself, but then I had it work by John at Modular Performance. It's a nice piece. I speak highly of it, because That really brought everything else together, and made the most significant gain. Not as much in power, but in power dekivery. The car pulled hard on the big end. With the spray it was even better. It came on violently, and pulled hard all the way to 7800rpm.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
yeah im starting to port heads for money soon. as im porting heads and flowbench testing them so Im gonna know what works. and Im going to mess around with making custom sheet metal intakes soon to.

but head porting as long as its done right is always good with cams. but most kids get a dremel and just ram out as much as then can of the port and think thats all there is to headwork. and usually end up getting less flow from a big ass port.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have full bolt ons and XE278 comp cams.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
How does it affect the overall power under the curve?

Is there any trade off in low-end power for the top end gains you see from porting?

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
theres always a trade-off, usually more air equals less turbulence on the bottom end anyway. so take your pic, its like cams IMO

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
where can yopu buy a flow bench?? im unable to find one?

·
Registered
169 Posts
i have my termi heads ported and you should only expect to have minimal gains in a n/a setup but if you have a turbo or s/c you will see bigger gains.

·
Registered
169 Posts
huh? there is nice gains n/a if done right.
i meant with the 4v termi heads they are already pretty efficient so port work doesnt do a whole lot unless you plan on flowing some substantial air,in my opinion the cost of porting (unless you already have your heads off for whatever reason)isnt worth the gains,just my $.02:blah

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
the overall VE is able to be upped, there are gains with them. the 4v heads are good, but plenty of room for improvement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts