Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend im going to pick up my turbo motor and pretty excited! just wondering when future plans of setting it in the vert if I could use my built head without hurting performance..head work that has been done...

Ported,polished
ext valve:1.59"
int valve: 1.89"
shaved:aprox. hundred thousands
ferra stainless steel valves
ranger roller cam for now.

shooting for a LA3 ecm and a big vam when swapped into the car and has the IHI turbo..

As previous post, id like to have a great running daily driver that I can expand with the materials I have and the head was purchased a few years back and figured it would be a great combo for airflow. any input would be accepted and helpful... :foshizzle:

·
Rent Asunder!
11,806 Posts
It will certainly help performance. The better the motor can flow, the less boost that's required for a desired amount of airflow, more power that's made, and cooler IATs as well. Keep a stock cam or near stock cam in it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
figured id stick with the ranger cam for awhile.. couldn't pass up the deal on the head then or the motor now. figured it would be a good change to have a little faster ride since ive owned this thing since I was 18.. will I need a tuner also since the head has work and don't know if the La3 would have the perameters to run right.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
It will work, the vam measures incoming air, so it will compensate for the little extra air that comes in. The shaving will be an awesome upgrade too, you're going to want a good head gasket, an MLS is best. The extra compression will give you better throttle response as well as a quicker spool from the turbo, plus a bit better fuel mileage too.

·
RAT FINK
939 Posts
I spent a little time doing some porting on the head on the engine I built for my old turbo 2.3 and it was definitely worth it. A ported head + bob's log (or similar manifold) + whatever turbo you want + bob's 3" elbow make for AWESOME spool times. I just had stock valves but I got a valve job and polished the chambers. Also ran a motorsport A237, I know people say it's not the best for turbo cars but mine felt stronger with it than the ranger cam.

I was running a 57 trim hybrid with a .63 Stage III turbine, which I had heard people complain took forever to spool. With the above work it spooled like a stock T3.

I especially saw a big decrease in spool time just going from the factory exhaust elbow to Bob's 3" elbow, that helps a lot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts