Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much did everyone pay? Was it worth the money? I want to have this done while my engine is apart.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Main thing with heads, make sure to get the valvetrain to support your rpm's and heat

ie. inconel valves, bronze guides, etc.. seats and retainers...

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
stock valves wont work with ported stock heads? I have upgraded valve springs and steel retainers already..what else is needed?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
stock valves wont work with ported stock heads? I have upgraded valve springs and steel retainers already..what else is needed?

they will, need guides... and the heat associated w/ FI, especially the area you are heading, those valves will be your weakest link.

inconel valves, all of them, would suffice.

your springs and retainers are good to go ;)

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
link to those valves and guides?

I am going to do everything right the first time so I spend the least money possible down the road.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and reps chad, thanks

nvmd: it wouldnt let me...someone else rep this guy for me...preesh

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
i had my stockers ported for 150 bucks each canadian, didint repalce anything that i know of. I can give the guys number if interested. Not to do the the work but to talk to someone in the business and who does it every day. pm if you want the number

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i had my stockers ported for 150 bucks each canadian, didint repalce anything that i know of. I can give the guys number if interested. Not to do the the work but to talk to someone in the business and who does it every day. pm if you want the number
would i get billed for long distance :lol

sure thing Ken, thanks

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
port work wise, I would recomend richard at West Coast Cylinder Head... he has about the most state of the art cnc porting and flow anaylsis programs you can find.

expect to pay for good work.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
****-- Richard will charge around $650-1000

but he will flow bench them first to see what he's got.. he then molds the port/chamber/port in a cnc program and blends the runner the the valve seat.. I can tell you he focuses on guided bosses alot..

worth the money..

Juco-- I understand your reasoning, BUT.. I picked up 27 peak and 12 average horsepower as well as 20+ftlbs ALL the way from 1500-7000 from JUST a 5 angle, a SLIGHT bowl blend, and polished (NO shaping at all..) intake runners.

in all, about 4 hours of work in both heads... paid $40 for the work from Smiths Machine in VA.

case in point, head work is VERY productive in F/I apps... granted I know guys who have made over 1000 rwhp with STOCK heads.

the most important thing about porting heads on F/I vehicles, more average power OUT of boost.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
The porting will also lower boost! :)

this is making me shy away from heads
Like Chad said, valvetrain is more important than the porting. I still think you'll be okay unless you want to rev it more than 6,500 RPMs. I mean sure something could break without going higher than that but it's not the rule.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts