Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a low mileage 2001 SVT that about 2 months ago I started hearing a tick from the rear of my right side exhaust but now it has turned into more of a louder knock sound. It sound like its coming from when one cylinder fires and increases with rpms. It is there when cold or hot. There is no tick or knock sounding under the hood just out the back of exhaust. Has this been a problem with SVTs? Any Ideas?
(the engine runs smooth)

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
I have a low mileage 2001 SVT that about 2 months ago I started hearing a tick from the rear of my right side exhaust but now it has turned into more of a louder knock sound. It sound like its coming from when one cylinder fires and increases with rpms. It is there when cold or hot. There is no tick or knock sounding under the hood just out the back of exhaust. Has this been a problem with SVTs? Any Ideas?
(the engine runs smooth)
There are a few other threads with similar issues. You've either spun a bearing or you have something VERY loose in the exhaust, which is unlikely.

Drain the oil, if you see metal, pull the pan and see where it's coming from.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,539 Posts
In the past I've blown up four engines in various cars and my daughter blew up one. I've never had a rod knock that wasn't clearly from heard under the hood. I've had hydraulic lifters loose pressure. Lifter ticks are also clearly heard from under the hood. Exhaust leaks can also make a ticking sound. Most of the exhaust ticks I've seen were where the exhaust pipe attaches to the exhaust manifold. But those I could hear under the hood or under the front of the car.

The car runs smooth but has a ticking sound in the tail pipe at the back of the car. Is the tail pipe loose? Could the tail pipe or muffler have a small rust hole?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is no knock or tick coming from under the hood. It is definitely a knock sound out of the right rear exhaust pipe and it is not the exhaust hitting on something or an exhaust leak. It started out a tick but is now a knock just like what a rod knock would sound like under the hood. They say that rod bearings were a problem with the 99-02 SVTs back then--- and Ford would replace the engine under warranty but many time the same thing would happen with the new engine. Im going to change oil next week and cut open the filter to look for metal. Also Im going to disconnect the coils (one at a time) to see if a non firing cylinder will reduce the knock sound (which would indicate a rod bearing). Im hoping this can be fixed without a complete short block/engine replacement?

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,215 Posts
There is no knock or tick coming from under the hood. It is definitely a knock sound out of the right rear exhaust pipe and it is not the exhaust hitting on something or an exhaust leak. It started out a tick but is now a knock just like what a rod knock would sound like under the hood. They say that rod bearings were a problem with the 99-02 SVTs back then--- and Ford would replace the engine under warranty but many time the same thing would happen with the new engine. Im going to change oil next week and cut open the filter to look for metal. Also Im going to disconnect the coils (one at a time) to see if a non firing cylinder will reduce the knock sound (which would indicate a rod bearing). Im hoping this can be fixed without a complete short block/engine replacement?
What kind of exhaust do you have? The reason I ask is sometimes Flowmasters or lower grade knock offs can break welds and cause what you're talking about.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im runing Magnaflows installed about 5 months ago======one well regarded mechanic and hot rod guy in my area, said I should run some Sea Foam through the engine, just in case there are any blockages in the oil passages.?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Do you have a video? Ticks, knocks, etc are hard to diagnose on the internet; even tougher without a video.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,539 Posts
What kind of exhaust do you have? The reason I ask is sometimes Flowmasters or lower grade knock offs can break welds and cause what you're talking about.
Exactly. Chambered mufflers have partitions that can come loose. Like I said I've blown up several engines. The knock never originated at the tail pipe.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have never heard of Magnaflows coming apart and even the stock mufflers are chambered. I had oil and filter changed today after running Sea Foam for about an hour and also Lucas fuel treatment. The noise seemed to be a little less, the engine is running smoother than ever and the oil change guys said there was no knock sound from underneath engine and no broken or loose exhaust parts. You have blown up several engines!!!!---why/how what engine and year? what was the problem? was there a permanent fix?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts