Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Absens haeres non erit
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I never installed my MGW shifter, because I was a little tight on money. The reason I bought the MGW is because my factory shifter doesn't work very well. Before I say more, I KNOW HOW TO DRIVE STICK. I have been to two respectable race schools and one motorcycle school.

Here's the problem. Sometimes It wont let me shift into fourth, at any correct RPM. Like if I am racing through 2, 3, then to 4th it wont let me. Even if I am calm just enjoying the scenery 5% of the time I can't shift into 4th. Also 2% of the time when I am at a dead stop first gear won't engage all the way, and it will pop out of gear into neutral.

My dad, who has been driving performance vehicles since the 60's, has ridden with me and has seen what happens himself. It's not the driver its I am guessing the shifter/ tranny.

If I do take the vehicle into the shop will they void my warranty because of any of my mods.

Thanks guys,
LCpl Gupton

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Legally the only way they can void your warranty is by proving the mod caused the failure. You haven't installed the MGW yet, and what you've described sounds like a variant of the transmission flu that's going around. I've got a less severe strain with 3rd gear. Unless something is seriously broken on your stock shifter, it's the transmission. Shifters aren't horribly complicated machines, just a rotating leverage machine really.

Take it into your dealer and get the ball rolling on fixing/replacing the bad transmission. That's what warranties are for. Just a word of caution on patience, it's not a TSB item (yet) so they'll probably try to fix it first. It may take some time for them to get the go ahead from Ford to replace the transmission.

Good luck and let us know your results, please.

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
They shouldn't give you any **** for what you have done. Several people have had this problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts