Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i think i have a leak at my rear main seal since my car is leaking a bit of what i think is tranny fluid. It's not much but it is leaking. Weird thing is theirs a couple drops of coolant on the ground as well mixed with the tranny fluid. Could this possibly be a gasket leaking since theirs coolant in it and just looks like its dripping where the rear main seal is? Anyone have any ideas?

Either way i think i'm ****ed. Don't want a costly repair since i plan on selling the car by summer.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
If it was the rear main seal, it would be oil on the ground, not transmission fluid. It sounds like the front seal of the trans is leaking. As far as the coolant is concerned, if it's at the back of the engine it could be the intake manifold, the heater core, a loose hose clamp, etc. Look it over, find the leak, and fix it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So i looked under the car again today since the last time i cleaned up all the fluid in the driveway and of course fluid had dripped again. I haven't driven the car since i last cleaned it. There's coolant drips on the k member and coolant all over the ground, a fairly good sized amount to make a small puddle. Anyone know what the hell is wrong with my car. i have no jackstands to look under and even if i did i wouldn't know what the hell i'm looking at to be honest. I'm gonna take it to my mechanic tomorrow to have him take a look but i wanted to know if anyone has experienced anything like this.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Leaking intake manifold, probably up by the t-stat housing--the coolant flows down into the valley and out through a drain hole in the back of the block. I just dealt with this a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If it's transmission fluid you see on the ground, a couple of drops, I would check the seal at the at the rear of the tranny where it meets the drive shaft - Output shaft Seal. Item number TIMKEN Part # 710426 (rockauto.com). You can purchase at your local Ford dealer ($27 + tax) or on line at rockauto.com ($8.00). Don't bother trying to find it at Autozone or Advance auto parts. At least in my area they did not carry it. The install was fairly easy andI have no leaks. I have an '01 Cobra, manual T3650 tranny.

As for your your coolant leak, sorry but I can't help you out there. I hope this helps out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts