Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys havent been around a lot but, been buys with school and work and that leads me to my question. i have a 2002 gt with 98k, is that too many miles to put a vortech on it? i dont know much about these and im looking into them now but with my gradutaion money from hs i want to buy a vortech and go fast! another question is will my stock internals will with stand the power increase of the s/c? i have heard our internals being good up to 450hp but im not 100% sure. thanks guys and if anyone is selling a s/c let me know

·
Registered
16 Posts
450 hp is pretty much redline danger for the internals.
If your motor is running strong then i dont see why u cant put a supercharger on it

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
There is information and mis-information. 450 hp-yes. 450 rwhp-maybe, if you have other supporting mods (cams, etc,) and a world class tuner.

I put a supercharger on my car at 80,000 miles. It currently has 149,000 miles (last 69,000 miles supercharged). But, I kept the power below 400 rwhp. Depending on the day, my car dynos somewhere around 385 rwhp (uncorrected).

Here is a poll of people driving supercharged cars. Almost 31% have driven their stock motors more than 50,000 miles supercharged.
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/99-04/214990-how-many-miles-supercharged.html

Don't get greedy and the motor should hold up.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok my car is a dd for the year besides winter. like i siad i need to look around so more but my biggest worry was i had to many miles so thanks for the relieve

·
Registered
408 Posts
No hands-on experience here but I have heard that 6-8psi is what the stock engine can safely run with. I don't know how much horsepower that equates to..400 maybe? Either way it's always better to upgrade internals if boosting

·
Registered
408 Posts
I just saw a comment on youtube saying " When I was all motor 302 with HCI I ran a 12.6 and then I put 15 pounds to that and ran 11.03 on a stock bottom end 302"
I know yours is a 4.6 but yeah this should at least give a good idea

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if i buy this it should work to hold 9 pounds of boots right? and will this all work with a s/c or a procharger? thanks guys
I have a huge amount of performance parts at the cheapest price ever! I am selling a set of T.E.A (total engine airflow) stage 3 heads. They are port and polished have bigger valves, and flow real good. The only thing they do not come with is a set of valve springs, they will need to be cleaned up but could be used as is. They retail for over 2000.00. Second I have a fully built bottom end it is a Windsor block, with 03 Cobra Oil pump, 03 Cobra crank, Manly rods, probe dished pistons, arp bolts, and canton 7 qrt. oil pan. The engine will need three new pistons or just replace them all. The block isnt scored or anything everything else is all good the bottom end is good as well i pulled the pan off and check the main bearing and they were clean. Third I have a full fuel system including a sump tank with AN fittings to run all the lines to your fuel rail, including the lines to feed the fuel, also have the aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and a weldon db 2025 a fuel pump external. This set up also converts your car to a return system as well. And last but not least I have a set of 2000 Saleen S281 Cams, and aftermarked timing chains, with the cam gears and tensioners to go with all of this. I even have the intake manifold with the throttle body, plennum, injectors, and fuel rails. Im sure I got some other stuff laying around as well. But heres the best part I am letting all of this go as as package deal for only 700.00 I am not going to seperate anything to make a lower price. the price is slightly negotiable so call me my names Mike my numbers

·
Banned from AFM member!
783 Posts
This thread is ****in' wierd.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Holy **** I'm confused.

Stock motor I wouldn't go much past 400rwhp at 10-11psi. The mileage is fine. I would do what limited said and do a leakdown and compression test.

As far as the motor with 3 bad pistons, I would replace all the pistons and get the cylinder walls honed. Or you could bore it to .020 over to .060 over. 20 over will make it a 284ci, 30 over will be 289ci and 60 over will be a 302ci. I wouldn't replace only 3 pistons.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sorry i suck at asking questions online, i can never word it the way i want. My question is would that windsor eninge the guy selling be smart to buy, because i want to either supercharge or procharge my car. Or should i just keep my money and save for the s/c? The only reason i would buy this is because id rather have a built bottom end than stock. So would this fully built bottom end it is a Windsor block, with 03 Cobra Oil pump, 03 Cobra crank, Manly rods, probe dished pistons, arp bolts work with a s/c? sorry for any confusion

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Holy **** I'm confused.

Stock motor I wouldn't go much past 400rwhp at 10-11psi. The mileage is fine. I would do what limited said and do a leakdown and compression test.

As far as the motor with 3 bad pistons, I would replace all the pistons and get the cylinder walls honed. Or you could bore it to .020 over to .060 over. 20 over will make it a 284ci, 30 over will be 289ci and 60 over will be a 302ci. I wouldn't replace only 3 pistons.
.060 over is 302ci? if all i had to do to get 302 is bore .060 :mad: i bought a stroker crank(3.75) and have to go .020 over to get 302 :confused:

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
.060 over is 302ci? if all i had to do to get 302 is bore .060 :mad: i bought a stroker crank(3.75) and have to go .020 over to get 302 :confused:
I could be wrong? Idk I thought thats what Ive read. But theres a difference between a stroker motor and just a 4.6 with a .060 bore. Im pretty sure it makes it out to a 302ci **** Idk I could be way the **** off.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I'm not sure we can bore .060 over without sleeves. I think .030 is the most. If I remember correctly the old pushrod 289 could be bored .060 over to make a 302 but I don't think there's enough space between the cylinders of our mod motors to do it. Our normal bore is 3.55". The 2011 Coyote motor is around .060 over ours (somewhere around a 3.61" bore) but its made of different materials. It also has a longer stroke. There are two ways to get a 302 ci motor. The normal 3.55" bore and the stroker crank or the modular Boss block (also made of different materials) with our normal 3.54" stoke but it has a 3.7" bore. If you combine the two (Boss bore and stroker crank) you get 323 ci.

MMR makes a 289 ci mod motor. It has the standard 3.55" bore with a 3.64" stoker crank. I think I read somewhere that it is the 2011 crank.

Reference: Modular Mustang Racing

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
30 over is the max recommended bore on our cast blocks. any more than that you start to get real close to the water jackets. and every 30 over bore would add up to maybe 284 cubs and a 60 over would be 287 cubes if that

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I must have mis read something then. My bad

1 - 20 of 23 Posts