Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a 99 Mustang GT 5 spd with 168,700 miles and its been running pretty well lately. Throwout bearing is making some scratching, squeaking noises but nothing terrible. Averaging 23mpg and not burning more than a qt of oil every change. Temps have been jumping around here in KS but today it was a nice 60 degrees and tonight around 40 so nothing extremely cold.
Anyways thats the background, on my way home I started smelling this scent that seemed similar to that of finger-nail polish remover? Then I got a little chilly and turned on the heater only to receive white smoke pour straight into my car... So I immediately shut it off and rolled down the windows putting on a jacket to keep warm. No loss of power or anything altogether just a funny smell and some smoke, steam? Well I had about 5 miles so I make it home conservatively and I shut the car off only to notice white smoke coming from the vents in front of the windshield.. So I get out and open up the hood with white smoke rushing from the passenger side in the engine bay? Then I notice it smells like maple syrup?? Also on the way home the engine died twice when I shifted into neutral to coast to stops. Nothing violent just seemed to die out on me and started back up fine but definetely died.. Im so confused, any ideas would be awesome! :confused:

·
Banned
1,232 Posts
Possibly the heater core or something. White sweet smelling smoke is usually coolant.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Heater core needs replaced by the sound of it. Hopefully thats all it is. The dash has to come out for the heater core. Disconnect the battery and wait a few minutes before you do start tearing the dash apart, you dont want the airbags to go off. I think you need to discharge the a/c to.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes and yes to the first two. I found the problem though, hoping its not the heater core as it was replaced about 2 years ago. A hose connecting to it has ruptured/blew off and there is a massive puddle below my car so thats what is going to have to happen first

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's some shotty pictures of whats going on with it to help you guys get it, im hoping to only replace the hose at this point. any advice with that task specifically?

Attachments

·
Banned
1,232 Posts
No offence but Im not sure you could have taken any more useless of pictures :p

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol... the first two are where the hose blew out?? The last two are just the result/side effects so other people might know if it happens to them the first time..

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, upon further research my heater core is definetely out.. Haven't decided if I will fix it myself or take it to a shop. I have fixed every problem before this but pulling the dash seems sketchy.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
taking to a shop will likely cost you an arm and a leg. it takes around 6 hours if i'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Might not be so bad, my mechanic does heater cores for $325, including all parts

·
Carport Built
871 Posts
^ that's rare, dash is simple to remove, there is a write up on this forum. I pulled it and put it back in a few hours.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info guys.. Im on the edge of deciding to have it done by a shop. I have the time to do it myself and the core is only $45 but im unsure of the quality of the job I will do as it is would be my first shot at it. I know a mechanic I can hire but help him out to cut the cost down and learn how to do it, so this is what im thinking I will try to do

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
He is using cheap autozone heater cores then and you'll be paying 325 again in a few months.

OP, I wouldn't use a autozone heater core. That's just me tho.
Correct. Buy the Ford part, fix it and be done.

IIRC the Ford part is a little over $100. OP, you can do it yourself, it just takes time. When you start pulling things out lay them out in the order you took them out along with the screws for each part, then put everything back in the opposite order. Simple as that. I would definitely spend the time doing it yourself, as it's not hard just time consuming.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts