Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone powdercoated exhaust headers before? my work can powdercoat but id rather know if it will hold up to the exhaust tempurature. We cook our paint at 375 degrees, idk if that makes a difference or if you needed to know.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Isn't ceramic coating just another powdercoating process?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe so I dont know, it sounds like its just a clear coat but I have a feeling ceramic coating sustains more heat. Thats why I want to find out so Im not boiling or dripping powdercoat paint down the track or on the roads because the exhaust cooks it. What I do know is our black powdercoat can stay in the ovens for a much longer period of time compared to clear(which burns)

·
2011 September ROTM
1,868 Posts
powdercoating is only good to about 400-500 degrees then it will blister off.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, so how hot do headers get?

·
Registered
13,629 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
okay so powdercoat=bad idea it sounds like?

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
You can get them ceramic coated, which is a type of powdercoating but can withstand high temperatures. it is not sprayed on like conventional powder but uses a different method. Regular powder coating cures at about 500 degrees where as true ceramic isnt a powder but more like molten glass that coats the object. Ceramic partially cures at 500 then the rest is done by the heat of the exhaust. I am going to be getting my MAC LT's done and have done the research and called different companies and this is what they have told me and I have seen from researching

·
Registered
646 Posts
if you want em a diff color, they make colored ceramic coating in a rattle can and you can use the poerder coating oven to cure it before you put em on thats what im planning on doing with my long tubes

·
Semper Fi
4,181 Posts
sure you can get them powdercoated.....but it'll only last till you get home ;)

but srsly, the MAC's are ceramic coated, but be careful with them. if you bump or bang them and they chip a little, you're gonna have rust there.

·
2011 September ROTM
1,868 Posts
jet hot or other ceramic coating is good to 1600 degrees

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ya I knew of the ceramic coating for the exhaust but figured Id find out about powdercoating since its availible at my work and I could send it through the machine without anyone knowing for free and save some money. O well

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.