Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
MM's Resident Male Nurse
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noob alert! I only know just enough about cars to get me in trouble!

Ok, odd question for everyone out there. I have an 05 GT 4.6 L. My gf just bought an 05 Cadillac CTS-HI (they are v6). We decided it would be fun to race from a red light - and she beat me. :bash: Now, after you all are done laughing...
Ok, so we both didn't "launch" or anything, just from foot on brake to stomping on gas. I wasn't paying enough attention and left the line a millisecond after her, but could not catch up hardly. Her car is bone stock. Here are my mods:
JLT series 2 CAI w/ Diablosport Predator 91 octane tune
NxtStep Performance catback exhaust (looks almost identical to a magnaflow, don't have a tune for it)
GT500 strut tower brace
-- All installed by yours truly --
I did have a giant box of crap in my back seat, but that should have slowed me that much I don't think. Also, my exhaust pipes look pretty groty on the inside, but I've been told to get my panties unbundled and not worry about that. Also, even before I installed the CAI, my throttle body was nasty - to the point of making a half second delay when I mashed the accel. I cleaned her with some MAF cleaner and it cleaned right up, but it looks like it might be getting a little dirty again.

Does anyone have any hints or suggestions or hysterical laughter to offer? Or is my car just getting old and slow :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Whats the condition of the JLT? When I recharged mine it made a world of difference in terms of throttle sensitivity

·
Registered
267 Posts
also are you both driving manuals or autos? depending on shift points could all be due to driving style

·
MM's Resident Male Nurse
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Uh, JLT is in decent condition... it's still mostly red (a few areas of gray, but really doesn't look bad) Also, they are both autos (beggars can't be choosers, lol). I do have a firm shift tune in the predator, but its for 93 octane, and I'm not sure how to edit the tune for the JLT and 91 gas (I have to drive 45 min for the nearest 93 gas). Would somehow editing that tune and applying it help any? Also, would somehow tuning for the exhaust help, or is that not necessary?

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
Think you might need a driver mod.

·
Super Moderator
7,915 Posts
Uh, JLT is in decent condition... it's still mostly red (a few areas of gray, but really doesn't look bad) Also, they are both autos (beggars can't be choosers, lol). I do have a firm shift tune in the predator, but its for 93 octane, and I'm not sure how to edit the tune for the JLT and 91 gas (I have to drive 45 min for the nearest 93 gas). Would somehow editing that tune and applying it help any? Also, would somehow tuning for the exhaust help, or is that not necessary?
If it's programmed for 93, you better give it 93 or keep your foot out of the gas.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Think you might need a driver mod.
This... On the real tho depending on how far you set her out on the launch and what speed did yau'll run too? It can happen to the best. 2 Car Lengths can be a lot to make up especially if yaull only raced to 60mph or something. All cars are fast to a certain mph then it's whoever has the displacement (natural or Forced) who will stretch legs.

You should have been reeling her back in pretty good by the time you let off tho. You need a set of 4.10's if you really want to wake the car up.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
did you remove the throttle body when you cleaned it or just cleaned it on the car. if you didn't remove it then do it again with it off the car.

·
Registered
402 Posts
You need gears and an email tune (vs canned tune). Midpipe wouldn't hurt either. Autos are great for the strip if you've got all the goodies but if the tunes sluggish it ain't worth ****.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Slow 3v
1,081 Posts
Yeah you probably need the driver mod and a real tune. If its not tuned for the intake than you arent really getting everything out of it. If you arent running the gas that the tune is written for than thats another factor that may be slowing you down. Cat backs dont really require a tune. Do you know what gears you currently have? Start looking for a mid pipe and an actual tune. Dont go changing parameters in your tune if you dont know what you are doing.

·
Make Me Squirt
2,455 Posts
2005 CTS (2.8) is only rated at 210hp (at the crank, I'm assuming) or 255hp for the 3.6. You should be at 270-ish to the WHEELS. Sounds like you need a driver mod.

:lol

·
Registered
402 Posts
2005 CTS (2.8) is only rated at 210hp (at the crank, I'm assuming) or 255hp for the 3.6. You should be at 270-ish to the WHEELS. Sounds like you need a driver mod.

:lol
Gotta factor in the little things like trans gear ratios and power bands too. I know GM likes to put really long gears in their cars. And 270 over 255 at the crank sounds great but gotta consider the cts might retain its torque curve better up top and might start making power a lot earlier or something. Stupid little factors like that

·
2011 September ROTM
1,868 Posts
blower /thread

·
Registered
932 Posts
did you spin????? and how far ahead did she get???? i would clean air filter and take the throttle body off and clean behind the butter fly. also get a new tune

·
Make Me Squirt
2,455 Posts
Gotta factor in the little things like trans gear ratios and power bands too. I know GM likes to put really long gears in their cars. And 270 over 255 at the crank sounds great but gotta consider the cts might retain its torque curve better up top and might start making power a lot earlier or something. Stupid little factors like that

Good point. You're absolutely right, as the C5 base Vette autos sport 2.73s (which sounds boring as ****). Found this: 3.6 Dyno Results with headers

3.6L V6 runs 227/190 at the wheels.

·
MM's Resident Male Nurse
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys. Ya, I definitely need gears, but I can't quite afford the installation costs atm... I've heard like 400 bones for that. As far as how far ahead she got, she probably got about a half car length or a little less before I left the line... I didn't spin too bad (like I said, neither of us actually "launched").
I might try and clean the TB again. I don't think I removed it from the car when I cleaned it last...
As far as tunes go... what do you guys recommend? The closest live person that does "tuning" and dynoing that I know of is in the twin cities, MN... a couple hundred miles away, so that's kind of out of the question (I live in La Crosse, WI). Should I dump my predator on ebay and go for an SCT/BAMA or something? I heard that a LOT of data logging is needed, and I don't even know what that is, but it sounds scary and very technical. As far as my current tune... I'm running the 91 octane JLT can tune from diablosport. I only run 91 gas.
Midpipe sounds like a good idea... recommendations? I want to stay with the h pipe though, I really like the sound over the x.
As for the driver mod... I'm workin on it, but there's not much up here for practice... I might post a thread for a WI get together or something. The only thing even close is a track near me opens one saturday a month for 4 months during the summer for open farting around. Later when I'm rich and famous and rule the world, I'll maybe even invest in a bad @$$ driving course :)

Thanks for the help guys! Any further help is greatly appreciated!

And wow, there are some great lookin ponies in here!

·
Slow 3v
1,081 Posts
def get Bama. I think they have tunes for the Predator also. No data logging with them. They will write your tune for whatever mods you have and when you get new mods, the new tunes will be free.

·
Registered
829 Posts
def get Bama. I think they have tunes for the Predator also. No data logging with them. They will write your tune for whatever mods you have and when you get new mods, the new tunes will be free.
I use a Predator Handheld and Bama does tune on them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts