Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im down to putting my harness in on my 3g alt install and on the solenoid its alot of wires on the power side of it and cant fit on there so is there any other places i can mount the wire like staright to the batter ?

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Do you mean the feed wire coming from the alternator? If so then yes, you can run it straight to the battery. Just make sure you put at least one fuse in there. After having a car catch fire at a shop I was running once, because a kid didn't put a fuse both near the battery and near the alternator on an upgraded alternator we did, and the wire touched the manifold and burnt through and burned the car to the ground, I tend to recommend a fuse on each side of the feed wire now.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Then you're good to go. What I mentioned is an extreme case, and out of all the years I've been doing this kind of thing, that's the only time it happened. But once it does happen, it kind of opens your eyes a bit. Just keep the wire zip tied out of the way of moving parts sharp objects and **** that get's hot and you'll be fine. I just throw that out there so people know what could happen if they aren't careful... and technically 2 fuses it the correct way to do it.

The hot side of solenoid for the starter ford just used basically as a junction block. Pretty half assed design in my eyes. You're better off going straight to the battery with that wire anyway.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then you're good to go. What I mentioned is an extreme case, and out of all the years I've been doing this kind of thing, that's the only time it happened. But once it does happen, it kind of opens your eyes a bit. Just keep the wire zip tied out of the way of moving parts sharp objects and **** that get's hot and you'll be fine. I just throw that out there so people know what could happen if they aren't careful... and technically 2 fuses it the correct way to do it.

The hot side of solenoid for the starter ford just used basically as a junction block. Pretty half assed design in my eyes. You're better off going straight to the battery with that wire anyway.
Ok cool thanks for the info

1 - 5 of 5 Posts