Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is power Shifting so bad for your Trans?

If someone power shifts with the stock trans, how long until the trans will give out?

What can i do to my Trans so i can power shift all day long? Would i have to buy better gears or upgrade to a better Transmission?

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'm not really too sure on this but I do know that your pretty much just throwing your car into the next gear in the tranny before it actualls slows down enough to go in smoothly, so your car doesnt go into the gear at the right fit, it presses against the teeth and spins it to get in the gear.... eventually this wears out your teeth to your gears in the trann

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
Most problems will be in the shift forks, and synchros. The only options realy are to have some upgraded parts put in. cryogeneticly frozen shift forks, carbon fiber or carbon kevlar, synchros, that sort of thing.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
my stang had 29K when i got it. I took it to the track twice, and power shifted a few times racing and had to get a rebuild by 38K. Then again i throw pretty damn hard. Bent the shift fork and couple bearing out. Unless your at the track i don't suggest it.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i stopped doing it for a long time. My car has already had a trans rebuild from the previous owner. but it was a lady who drove it so i doubt she was doing any crazy ****. but i did it the other day and remember how fun it was and how much faster my car was and so i thought id see what you guys had to say about it.

So how much would you say it would cost to put all these upgraded parts in?

I dont really street race but for the people who do.....Do you powershift when you are racing someone?

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
Depends on your local tranny people realy. The parts aren't realy high, but install can be. Sweet2k remembers all the prices from when he had his built, I ask him to jump in here in a few and let you know.

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
Power shifting makes the synchros work extra hard due to the extra rpm increase when the clutch goes it. If you are lightning fast its not as bad as if you delay (and bounce off the limiter), or miss the shift. Miss a couple power shifts and the tranny will be toast.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Power shifting makes the synchros work extra hard due to the extra rpm increase when the clutch goes it. If you are lightning fast its not as bad as if you delay (and bounce off the limiter), or miss the shift. Miss a couple power shifts and the tranny will be toast.
+1 1st to 2nd gear is the gear that most ppl power shift on when they 1st learn... cuz 2nd to 3rd ppl occassionally miss just driving normally lmao. And you're effed if you miss/over rev....

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
+1 1st to 2nd gear is the gear that most ppl power shift on when they 1st learn... cuz 2nd to 3rd ppl occassionally miss just driving normally lmao. And you're effed if you miss/over rev....

Oh i know 3rd is a bitch.

When ive power shifted in the past i would do 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 4th never from 2nd to 3rd or 4th to 5th, lol, ill miss those.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
why would anyone want to drive around power shifting .

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
My T-45 had over 200 power-shifted track passes on it before I blew a 3-4 shift and snapped a fork. Fixed that and replaced the 2nd gear syncros about a year later. Good timing and clutch disengagement are the keys to long life.:cool:

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Put it this way...I'd rather just shift as fast as possible...The difference is so small with keeping my foot on the gas it's not worth the trouble...I missed 3rd when powershifting and the trans took a long term vacation while over-revved the F*** out of the engine...:) I'm much more consistent, precise, and safe when i just clutch-shift-gas(rapidly), although i've missed doing that a few times as well, though it's not so violent when my foot is off the gas....

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Put it this way...I'd rather just shift as fast as possible...The difference is so small with keeping my foot on the gas it's not worth the trouble...I missed 3rd when powershifting and the trans took a long term vacation while over-revved the F*** out of the engine...:) I'm much more consistent, precise, and safe when i just clutch-shift-gas(rapidly), although i've missed doing that a few times as well, though it's not so violent when my foot is off the gas....
Yes you may be more consistent, precise and safe but you are also SLOWER:eek:
You will drop some E.T. power-shifting our cars. Any low horsepower car will benefit from staying in the throttle. It can be the difference between running 13.1 or 12.9 , I've seen it in my car many times. To me it's worth it:D

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
i am really damn consistent N/A in my car powershifting. a lot of people run into shifting in and out before clutch is disengaged/disengaged too. if you are good and have the stuff to make powershifting good, then a trans will be good for a while. if not, then expect to be replacing forks and syncro's.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
i used to have issues with the third gear power shift but now i have the mgw short throw and i bark third. rarely ever do i have any problem shifting when it comes to not havin it engaged or disengaged early or too late or what not. im pretty good in that part.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
when i powershift i still use the clutch but i just keep my foot on the gas the entire time and never let off. Thats what i do and what ive been told powershifting is so correct me if im wrong. Ive never missed a shift or bounced of the rev limiter at the track, but having my mgw shifter helps ALOT in not missing 3rd.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
when i powershift i still use the clutch but i just keep my foot on the gas the entire time and never let off. Thats what i do and what ive been told powershifting is so correct me if im wrong. Ive never missed a shift or bounced of the rev limiter at the track, but having my mgw shifter helps ALOT in not missing 3rd.
You're doing it right:cool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts