Modded Mustang Forums banner

power steering fluid

28K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  38notsospecial 
#1 ·
i was looking in the owners manual and i am about to change my power steering fluid and it says it uses mercon automatic tranny fluid..... is that right?

#4 ·
alright cool thanks for the replies. i changed the fluid and wow it turns way easier. i didnt think i would notice a difference but i notice a big difference.

#7 ·
i just used a turkey baster and sucked as much of the fluid out as i can and then filled it up and turned the car on and turned the wheel left to right like 10 times. i repeated this process like 4-5 times until it looked like new fluid in there.

#8 ·
1. Remove hose and drain fluid.
2. Replace hose and top up the reservoir.
3. Start engine.
4. Slowly turn the wheels stop to stop, then back to straight ahead.
5. Stop engine
6. Repeat steps 1 through 5 as necessary, until the fluid you drain is clear.

#9 ·
Sweet! That saves me one less thing to have the damn service center do!! I see a few hours on my next saturday morning being occupied already!! :)

#11 ·
pull the return hose on your power sterring pump
if your going to grab a wrench to unthread the bolt its on to, then thats the wrong hose. its a plain rubber hose on the bottom

let it drain and all come out
replace hose
refill resivor
turn the car on. turn it a little bit each way, then turn the car off and check fluid.
then turn car on and turn all the way each way
turn off and check fluid and refil if needed
DO NOT OVERFILL

#18 ·
its like how the manual says use automatic transmission fluid with my T5 transmission. That will confuse the **** out of some old guys at an auto parts store.
ya i knew that. i used automatic tranny fluid in my t-5 the last time i changed it, but i didnt realize that you use it for the power steering pump also

#19 ·
Just did the "Turkey Baster" flush! :) definetly did the trick for around $10? How much fluid does the entire PS system hold?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.