Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went for a drive yesterday some friends and after about an hour of spirited driving, I noticed the steering feel became soft/vague and eventually felt so loose that I pulled over to inspect everything. It all looked normal, no broken tie rods or leaking fluids, so I continued driving..... Eventually, after resting and letting my car cool down the steering returned to normal.

This makes me think the power steering fluid became super heated and the system was not able function properly because of the overly viscous fluid. If anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
I recently redid my entire power steering system. I wasn't a fan of the stock "whatever-the-hardline-thing-was" that it came with and come to find out SVT Cobras came with a cooler so I decided to duplicate it. Overkill? Maybe but I like my repairs to last a long time. The hardline is there on the GT and V6 models to save costs to where the cooler would go. The Hardline is supposed to act as a cooler of sorts but I feel does a piss poor job. I replaced the rack with a remanned AC Delco, replaced the pump with a remanned A1cardone, and replaced both pressure lines to the hydroboost and the feed and return lines on the rack. I then refilled everything with Mercon V and was set. I used cheap Wal-Mart Mercon V. I had 6 bottles on hand to complete the entire task. Here's some pics and the parts I used:

Parts Used:

Manual Fluid Exactor - I used this to remove all the fluid prior to breaking into the system. I also used it to fill the system. Basically slowly start a vacuum while filling at the resevior while blocking off the return side of the resevior. This minimizes air in the system. You'll still need to bleed the system of air by jacking up the front wheels and turning lock to lock.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LCEWR4A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You'll notice in the pics there is black wrap around the hose. I did this to offer protection of the hoses as I ran them through the hole in the frame where the old hard line went. This is to protect against rubbing damage. It's rigged but it works.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HWROO7E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You'll need additional hose made for transmission fluid. Remember gas and transmission line isn't the same!! 3/8" needed
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XONNTE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used this to convert the -6 connections on the cooler to 3/8" barbs so the hose can connect to it. I wrapped the threads on the cooler in teflon tape prior to installing these to prevent leaks (need to ensure the entire system is air tight
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CN7EB8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used these to splice into the existing tubing for the extension tubing needed to connect the cooler
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PNKDT4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XONO98/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is the cooler I opted for. I used this because I saw someone else use it on another forum that did Auto cross. It isn't that big but does the job.

Misc items needed:
-Hose clamps
-L bracket from home depot (2) to mount the cooler (see pics). I found them in the bracket section. It's used to reinforce wood at the corners. I used an existing bolt and hole that was holding the old line up on one side. On the additional 3 holes I used self tapping screws with a washer. To mount the cooler to the brackets I used stainless steel nuts, bolts, and locking washers to prevent rusting. (Yeah the brackets are prone to rust but I will paint later). The pics should be self explanatory.

All in all - it works and has been working since October. Its crazy after a long drive to feel under how much cooler the fluid is coming out of the cooler versus going in just by simply gripping the line. I was shocked.

Side note: I had issues sealing the feed line to the rack properly even with the teflon ring in place. I used these two products and torqued it down as hard as possible and no more leak

Prep the mating surfaces with this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HBID8S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Apply this and torque down. It starts to set really quick
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HBGL14/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also as you see in the pic I had to trim the splash guard a little (while ugly it works) so it didn't rub the line. Everything clears and works great.

**THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND: Don't get to0 long of bolts to mount the cooler to the L bracket. Doing so will cause the bolts to hit the radiator. I didn't want to damage the radiator so I went to home depot and got short enough bolts. Same thing applies to the self tapping screws.

Extra extra note: I'm a huge fan of Breeze Power brand hose clamps on amazon. They are stainless steel and you can torque the hell out of them and they won't break. Try to say that about a parts house hose clamp. Used that brand clamps on everything - recently when redoing the lower radiator hose. Removed the cheap crap metal clamps and installed those. Works like a champ. The lower rad hose with plastic rings to seal at the T joint failed in under a year causing a coolant leak!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow Odessa I could not have asked for a better reply! I will probably have to read it over a few times and look at more examples before I fully understand what is going on, but eventually I will plan a similar upgrade based on what you've shown here. Maybe once I get mine done I will post pictures and do a little write up for my install. Thank you thank you thank you!!!

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
wow Odessa I could not have asked for a better reply! I will probably have to read it over a few times and look at more examples before I fully understand what is going on, but eventually I will plan a similar upgrade based on what you've shown here. Maybe once I get mine done I will post pictures and do a little write up for my install. Thank you thank you thank you!!!
Not a problem. If I were you I'd just ditch the current hardline "cooler" and replace it with this cooler then do a power steering system flush. If you want tonight I can get the car on ramps and do a video tutorial of what I did exactly. It helps cool the system down a lot. Guys that do auto cross do this mod due to the extreme amount of hard steering they do. I just wanted to extend the life of my rack and ps pump.

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
Are you having overheating issues as well?
I haven't yet with 275s upfront but I just got a set of 18 x 10.5 rovos Pretorias, and will be running 305s up front so I figured would be a good idea to do this mod while I'm ahead.
Another reason I did it was because I read that tube they put in there can corrode internally over time. This is turn can put crap in the system and cause damage. I was like forget that noise... And stripped it out. It wasn't my idea. I actually got the part number of that cooler off a post on another forum where a guy Auto crosses his car and was having PS pump failures. After the cooler the failures stopped.

All in all it was a 100 dollar investment after hoses, clamps, brackets, fittings, ect. Piece of mind is priceless tho.

I was debating on an in line filter but since I bought the fluid extractor I can literally flush my entire power steering system in 10 minutes. Also the filter is not serviceable so I decided against it.

I love filtering fluids and adding cooling to add additional life to systems. On my 1999 Ford explorer the transmissions were known to fail at 80k miles. It had a tow package so it already had an aux cooler. I added an additional B&M cooler and external filter that used a screw on oil filter. I changed the filter and filled it with fresh fluid every 3k miles. That transmission lasted well over 175k miles til the head gasket blew on the motor.

Cheap insurances give me peace of mind.

·
Carving corners
3,328 Posts
Another reason I did it was because I read that tube they put in there can corrode internally over time. This is turn can put crap in the system and cause damage. I was like forget that noise... And stripped it out. It wasn't my idea. I actually got the part number of that cooler off a post on another forum where a guy Auto crosses his car and was having PS pump failures. After the cooler the failures stopped.

All in all it was a 100 dollar investment after hoses, clamps, brackets, fittings, ect. Piece of mind is priceless tho.

I was debating on an in line filter but since I bought the fluid extractor I can literally flush my entire power steering system in 10 minutes. Also the filter is not serviceable so I decided against it.

I love filtering fluids and adding cooling to add additional life to systems. On my 1999 Ford explorer the transmissions were known to fail at 80k miles. It had a tow package so it already had an aux cooler. I added an additional B&M cooler and external filter that used a screw on oil filter. I changed the filter and filled it with fresh fluid every 3k miles. That transmission lasted well over 175k miles til the head gasket blew on the motor.

Cheap insurances give me peace of mind.
Yes for 100 bucks it's like a limp dick, you just can't beat it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts