Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So October of 2017 I change out my entire power steering system because the rack was leaking and the pump was making noise. I installed new lines to and from the hydroboost, new rack, new pump, threw in a cooler, and flushed the entire steering.

Recently the power steering pump is making noise and the wheel is stiff. NOW there is a smell coming from the pump. You got to be kidding me! I think it crapped on me.

I will say the original remanned rack I used was A1Cardone - it was a total POS. Spray painted black. The hardlines were bent in a way I couldn't get connections to it. Returned it and got a AC Delco unit off Rockauto. 10x better job but it came with GM bushings. No problem as I wanted to put in poly anyway.

That put a bitter taste in my mouth, but I went ahead and just installed the....A1cardone pump I had! Dumbest idea ever. I should have put the remanned motorcraft from rock auto. I'm so angry!

So my question - has anyone had such bad luck with a1cardone stuff? I also used Mercon V in the system as forums said this was OK. Should I flush it all with something else when I replace the dumb pump....again?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Manual rack sounds so appealing for the extra engine bay real estate. I would swap the rockauto reman rack on though.

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not. Just swap that **** over to manual steering, manual brakes and send it.
My car is a cruiser though. I enjoy the creature comforts like power steering. I wish they made an electric steering pump conversion kit, which they do for later model stangs, but nothing for the new edge. Thanks to hydroboost I'd probably lose my brake assist anyway. Taking that drag off the motor and losing all those damn lines would be nice. Electric power steering is amazing. My new f150 has it and you can adjust the feel of it and everything. Best of all? No hydraulic lines or fluid or bs.

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Little update on this. Whine is still there. Lesson learned on using a cheap power steering pump. Motorcraft is over 100$ more without the pulley versus the a1cardone that comes with a pulley. Go figure. From what I read motorcraft is the absolute way to go with an ac Delco coming in second place.

Lastly the burning smell is totally unrelated and I don't even want to post what it is because it's embarrassing (I sprayed high temp caliper paint around the welds when my cats got welded in to protect them. Well it's rated at 500degrees in spurts. I'm sure the pipes get much hotter then that as the cat creates a ton of heat. I looked under and saw the paint like melting away)

Lesson learned. Always use quality parts.

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts